Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 3/5/2010 1:06:51 PM EDT

Anybody have one?
Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:18:14 PM EDT
i wouldn't get one, they're pretty ugly. but you can get something like the new troy trx rails (i believe that's what they're called) that has a continuous top rail and you can add rail sections anywhere you want on the rest of the hand gaurd. it's just not very modular, but i guess it would depend on what you want the rifle to do.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:36:11 PM EDT
RRA: King of misnomers and tactical everything, most of them ugly.

What's advanced about them?  Old wood hunting rifle/shotgun style handguard checkering combined with rails?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:38:24 PM EDT
Ive got the Elite Comp with I guess RRA first generation half Quad rail. I like it alot , it is a pleasure to hold and works very well for hunting pigs and coyotes out of my truck.And it balances well with the Leupold CQT on it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:50:30 AM EDT
I too have one of the first generation half quad rails on one of my guns. I thought it was a bit goofy at first. The more I used it, the more I really liked it. It ends up that it is really comfortable and practical.  For those who have never owned one of the earler versions, I would say to try it before passing judgement.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:39:27 AM EDT
How well does it handle the heat? Does it get too hot after long strings of fire or sitting out in the sun for a while? I know Aluminum isn't supposed to transfer heat too much, but......
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:49:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DT2186:
i wouldn't get one, they're pretty ugly. but you can get something like the new troy trx rails (i believe that's what they're called) that has a continuous top rail and you can add rail sections anywhere you want on the rest of the hand gaurd. it's just not very modular, but i guess it would depend on what you want the rifle to do.

I already have a rifle length FF Quad Rail w/ Magpul XTM rail covers and it's like shooting a with a football. Just looking for something slimmer. Plus I don't attatch anything on the aft half of the rails anyway except for rail covers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:05:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LA_357SIG:
How well does it handle the heat? Does it get too hot after long strings of fire or sitting out in the sun for a while? I know Aluminum isn't supposed to transfer heat too much, but......

It seems to handle heat just about like any other handguard I have.  It has never been an issue.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:47:58 AM EDT
Thanks L_R. As soon as RRA emails me back about the weight I'll be ordering one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:25:29 AM EDT
While it does look different, I don't think it's "ugly", just utilitarian. I don't rule out using an item simply because of its appearance. I never use any of the lower/side rails nearest the receiver, so I wouldn't mind having a more slender handguard in that area. For my next project I don't need a lot of "rail estate", so this could work. My question would be how much it weighs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:30:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2010 10:37:47 AM EDT by tt350z]
What about spending another $20 and get a Viking Tactics  Extreme BattleRail/Troy TRX Extremel?

Lighter than a DD Lite, slim profile, continous upper rails, and the ability to place rail sections where you need it.

VTAC Extreme BattleRail

Troy TRX Extreme
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2010 7:43:35 PM EDT by new-arguy]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 4:55:46 AM EDT
It's so advanced, it needs less ventilation!
Top Top