Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/1/2003 6:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 9:18:14 PM EDT by underdog75]
Took my 9mm to the range agian and had a few problems.....I had some FTF coming from the mag block riding up into the carrier...couldnt get it tight enuff!....Finally i remembered someone on the boards saying there 9mm ran better with the mag block loose and (floating),only being held by the mag catch...I tried that and it worked...At that point i only had 3 mags left but they ran fine.....Also....Halfway through the range session i had a FTF,at first i thought it was another mag block problem but when i cleared the jam a SMALL PIECE OF METAL about 1/2 inch long fell out of the mag block..YES MY EJECTOR! it broke off about 1/4 inch before the 90deg. bend..funny thing is...it didnt effect how it ejected! kept shooting brass out like 6 feet...Who,da thunk it?.....ill report back in part 3 and hopfully no problems then(knock on wood)..........UNDERDOG
www.4matman.com/clan/downloads/video/Video032.wmv
This is the last mag of the day,with loose mag block and broken ejector...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:48:05 PM EDT
I know someone who continues to have problems with his new 9mm RRA. Its been sent to the factory for repairs, and to a custom gunsmith, and still has problems. My Colt works great.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2003 10:16:43 PM EDT by underdog75]
Im very happy for you...But @1500$ to 2000$ for a prebie colt and 100$ and up for factory mags, that is not an option....Besides I shouldnt call them "problems" there simply things to do,This rifle WILL run, im just kinda feeling my way as i go here and simply posting my progress so that others may learn from my "problems" and maybe give me insight to there experences involving the same.....Not meant to flame, just the way it be..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:24:34 PM EDT
Apparently you are assuming that Colt never made post-ban 9mm ARs. You are wrong. I know where 4 post-ban 9mm Colts exist (we bought them). Other than that, I have never seen another one. The Colt mags work great, so do the UZI mags from RRA, and now my USA mags work like a charm! NO PROBLEMS. [:D] I was so happy the other day when I shot it. I rarely shoot it, and when shooting normal ammo and Colt mags, it never has problems. It used to have problems with CCI Blazer's Aluminum casings, and USA magazines would never feed. Once I changed to a new buffer and spring (LE-sized Ace skeleton stock), everything feeds well now. I almost bought a 9mm preban Colt, but declined since they are so overpriced. I shoulda bought the preban version back when I got my POST-BAN 9mm Colt. It was only $200-$250 more... oh well. No flash for 9mm anyway.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:13:49 PM EDT
Yes i was assuming.Sorry....Im using converted S.A. uzi 25 rounders and having no problems from them..Im using a car length spring an 9mm bufferw/ no spacer...My buttstock is a 6-pos. pinned with the latch mech. removed why? I got it for 20 bucks...is this the correct set up?..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:10:14 AM EDT
I don't know much about buffers and stuff. All I know is that they gave me the wrong CAR buffer & spring (RRA for .223), and the bolt will actually slam forward a lot harder. I am thinking this is what solved my CCI Blazer and USA magazine problem. Colt mags and brass or steel ammo always worked, and still do. Now everything works.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:00:54 PM EDT
If you're using a full(rifle) length buffer tube, you should have the stock spacer in place, along with the CAR action spring and CAR length 9mm heavy buffer. Sluggo
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:14:54 AM EDT
My buttstock is a 6-pos. pinned with the latch mech. removed why? I got it for 20 bucks...is this the correct set up?
View Quote
So you're saying it's a pre-ban, true telescoping stock that was converted to not telescope anymore? If that's the case then it should be a carbine tube, and you're OK. But if it's one of the RRA or other FAKE stocks that were fixed from the start, they use a full length tube in them, and although I know DOODLIE SQUAT about 9mm AR's, according to the guys here, you need the spacer for a full length tube. How to tell? If your stock is all the way out and the tube meets the butt of the stock, then it's a fake and using a full length tube. If it's fully extended and the end of the tube is somewhere inside the stock, then it's a carbine tube. Hope this helps. Thanks for your posts BTW, as I am planning on building a RRA 9mm in the next couple of months, and your input has helped.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:33:55 AM EDT
It sounds like you're just having mag block problems. Your block riding up will DEFINITELY cause them. As far as RRA's 9mm reliability goes, I bought an upper from them, and put together a rifle with a standard A2 buttstock, .223 buffer and spring, and even the .223 hammer. Made a block to use Sten magazines in it, and have fired somewhere between 800 and 1000 rounds downrange with it. I haven't had a SINGLE fail to feed, fire, or eject. That's with slow deliberate fire, rapid fire, and bumping. RRA makes a solid product. Did you get the mag block from RRA too? Maybe you should try a different mag block. Hahn is supposed to make a good (albeit expensive) mag block. Look in the Brownell's catalog. I'm willing to bet it's nothing more than a mag block problem. It doesn't have to be a Colt to be reliable [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2003 4:27:50 PM EDT by joeblack]
I use a RRA upper cut down to @6", a ramped bolt, a one piece mag well, and converted UZI mags. For my CAR stock, a AAC buffer and the buffer spring that came with the AAC unit. Full length stock, needs AAC unit and the regular spring that the full length stock came with. (This is a M16 set up) On my AR15, and a 16" 9mm upper of course, the ramped bolt fixed any feed problems I had. Ramping takes way less energy to re cock the hammer so no more short strokes...and no more failure to feed because the bolt seems to grab the next bullet faster. The slower the bolt the more feed problems I had.... Some have ground the feed ramp on the mag block a little to allow better feeding...Here's a pic of the 9mm upper (bottom one) (top is a 7.62 x 39) [img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/7629mm.JPG[/img] Here's a side by side non ramped and ramped bolt: [img]http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/sidebyside9mmbolt.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:16:11 AM EDT
Thanks guys,i havnt been around in a couple days....Yes my stock is a true carbine stock that i pinned where i wanted,so i think ive got the right buffer and spring...Joeblack,,Ill be sending you my bolt for ramping as soon as i get done playing...LOL...send me your contact info.....I ran a set screw into the block from behind the front takedown pin as per HKDUDE's info and i havnt had a jam or anything in about 700 rounds....with the rifle together you cant see the screw so it all good now, Thank everyone for your help.............UNDERDOG
Top Top