Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:43:03 AM EDT
I am going to start a 9mm build soon. My RRA 5.56 has been great so I am going that route again.

First are the new RRA mag blocks worth having?

Also my main question is how "modified" do the uzi magazines have to be for the RRA magblock? Is it something someone can do at home?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Will the factory Colt 32rd mags work in the RRA block?  Will they lock open?

If it is an exact copy, I would suspect it would.  

I am about to put one together as well, but am waiting on the RRA 9mm lowers.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
How do you go about installing the enlarged brass deflector? I am about to strip my 5.56 gun of its flattop on place for a A2. So I will have a flattop RRA upper receiver.

I am thinking about building it from scratch as I get the cash.

I figure the 9mm gun is going to be more expensive than a 5.56 but the money I am going to save on ammo is worth it to me. Plus it will be a fun gun.

I figure ADCO or some other smith could cut a 9mm barrel down to 10.5'' or less and install a FH correct? I plan to SBR the 9mm when I get some money.

ADCO has the RRA mag blocks instock for 120$. Do you have to drill your lower for the set screws? I plan on building this gun off a MEGA lower so if I do screw it up I wouldn't be out that much cash. Still more than I want to loose tho. I was really interested in that Oly 9mm that uses glock magazines. But I don't want to buy a complete rifle. Since I already have a stock, receiver, and stripped lower on its way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Will the Glock lowers work with a Colt 9mm upper?  I know their regular 9mm lowers wont.

Can you buy just a Glock lower?

I have an email in to Olympic, but haven't heard back yet.

I was considering this as an option as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are trying to use a 5.56 upper receiver with forward assist and forged deflector, the 9mm brass/gas deflector won't fit very well and will look really strange.  BTW, deflection doesn't seem like a big deal until you get done firing a 9mm conversion...if right handed, your right sleeve will be covered with carbon spray, and if lefty, your torso will be covered, even with the deflector.  It would be much worse without the plastic deflector (been there, done that).  It normally takes the place of the rearward third (roughly) of the ejection port, using the shortened port door with standard rod, spring, etc...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]
They sell the deflector separatly so I figured it must go over a standard one somehow.

As far as I know Oly does not sell the Glock lower by itself. Just with the complete rifle. So I may just go ahead and build a RRA setup.

Looks like RRA does sell complete 9mm rifles...but they are 900$
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a top loading RRA mag block that works well.  However, it will not accept Colt 32 round mags and will not hold the bolt open on last shot.  If I had to do it over I may go with either of the Hahn blocks.  They seem to be very reliable and will accept both converted Uzi and Colt mags.  Contact RB Precision on the EE, as they have always been able to get RRA 9mm parts in short order.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Do the bottom loading blocks require you to drill holes in the receiver for the set screws?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do the bottom loading blocks require you to drill holes in the receiver for the set screws?

NO MY RRA set up that I built has run 100% with Colt mags and Beta. About 97% with modified Uzi mags and Pro-mags. RRA is great .
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I am probably going withe the RRA block. Unless I can find the sten setup.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top