Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2002 4:51:25 PM EDT
I have some questions about the 9mm upper from RRA. I have currently,a RRA lower with A2 stock and I would like to use one of RRA's 9mm uppers on it.I would also like to use unmodified Sten mags.Other than the upper itself and a hammer,stock extension and buffer what do I have to do to accomplish this and make it work everytime I pull the trigger.Not 80% or 95% but every time I pull the trigger.(or am I asking to much?)
I know by reading the posts here that in order for me to use unmodified Sten mags I require a two piece mag block from Brownells.
Has anybody tryed this mag block in a RRA 9mm upper with unmodified Sten mags?If so how did it work for you.
Any help,opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
43E1P

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw out what you know while you read this.

I have a CAV-15 lower.  I did not change the buffer, spring nor hammer to use my ASA 9mm upper.  I just take the 223 upper off, put the block in the mag well and slap the 9mm on. There is a compatable hammer in 223 that will work w/ the 9mm upper.  It is a hammer w/ a rounded top edge.  NOT notched!!!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=2002[/img]
The hammer on the left will NOT work.  The one one the right WILL work.

The RRA 9mm and ASA 9mm are all Colt style/type 9mm systems.  Original mag well blocks were two piece and then the single piece came out.

The two piece block from Brownells is a block that allows to use Colt mags/notched uzi mags.  It must be MODIFIED to work w/ notched Sten mags.  This was done by a few board members to creat their own block.

Now, ProfGAB101 as stated that he will be making some blocks to use nothed Sten mags in the Colt style 9mm.  He as posted this online.  You may want to contact him for further info or do a search for ProfGAB101.  He posted it on page 8 and 9 of the thread that is tacked in this section "Sten Mags in Colt  9mm system"

Edit-
I was one of the original people who modified a JRW block (what Brownell's sells) to work w/ Stens.  The others were Glftoe, AR-fan, HighlandMac and a bunch of others that I can't recall (sorry guys).  This really works!!!

I have a Word file that has pics that describes the conversion.  If you would like it for reference, email me and I will send it.  Please note, that the file is about 1100K.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me see if I understand this right.If I make this mod to the two piece mag block will I have do anything to the Sten magazine?
43E1P
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let me see if I understand this right.If I make this mod to the two piece mag block will I have do anything to the Sten magazine?
43E1P
View Quote

Email Kaliburz for the Conversion Text, it might answer your questions [;)]

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
43E1P
View Quote

Yes, you'd have to modify the Sten mag.  Only modification would be to cut a mag catch notch into the mag.  It wouldn't prevent the Sten mag from being used in its original firearm (per BATF regulations), and is a real easy mod to do (even with a dremel and a file).

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
This is all that has to be done.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=2020[/img]

NOTCHING...just like the Uzi mags.

Edit-
A gunsmith can notch the mags.  Once he knows where to put it... it's simple.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top