Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2003 1:55:19 PM EDT
Took the newly built 9mm AR out for it's first range trip.  Here's a link to the previous thread regarding the build: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=166116&page=1

I started by giving it a good lube job and bore-sighting the sights.  Pretty much just aimed the bore at something distinguishable at about 15 yards and zeroed the sights in on it.

The "range" was simply a path cut in the woods, about 15 to 20 yards long.  I set up some cans and plastic bottles for targets.  I loaded the first magazine with 2 rounds just in case anything went wrong it could not go full-auto for too long.  First round chambered and shot perfectly, hit the coke can first shot.  Second round chambered and also shot just fine hitting the target.  I then loaded up the second mag with 5 rounds and fire it off without a hitch.  You would have needed a yard stick to measure the shit-eating grin at this point.  I then loaded the two mags up full and proceeded to lay waste the cans and bottles.  It rapid fired perfectly and was so darn easy to keep on target.  In my opinion the recoil was less than a .223 AR, but I didn't have one on hand to do a real comparison with.  I also mounted a Kobra red-dot on the Tactical Carry Handle (that is neither tactical nor a carry handle ) and after minor sight adjustments was able to easily hit my targets.  All in all I only blew through 100 rounds, but every single round chambered, fired and ejected perfecty.

One odd thing I noticed, however, was that I had these black spots on my shirt at the shoulder.  It would seem that because this is a straight blow-back design that the carbon is blowing all the way back through the buffer tube and out the drain hole.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Would it be okay to put some cotton or cloth back behind the spacer to catch this?

I guess now it's time to start notching the rest of the Sten mags (18 to go).  I'm also going to try to cut a few of them down to 20 rounders for bench shooting.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and information.  Particularly Gloftoe, Kaliburz and HighlandMac for the mag-block conversion information.

LL
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
LightingLink,
    It's funny you mentioned the black spots on your shirt. The first time I tested my Sten setup I got the same thing on my T-shirt. I had installed a RRA LE entry "Short" buttstock on my 9mm carbine and used the buttplate screw with the hole in it. I switched over to a plain screw of the correct size and length and it corrected the "Dots" problem. If you can't find a screw to match the buttplate screw just fill the hole in the screw with some good old JB Weld, put a piece of tape on the end of the screw and find a place to set the screw up on the taped end over night. JB weld can be a little runny so that's the reason for the tape over the end and you don't want the JB in the screw head slot so that's the reason to stand it upright on the taped end.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell I just wear a black shirt!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've cut quite a few down in size. I prefer the short sten mags to the 32's.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.

Mine has a post-ban collapsible stock (that doesn't), so the drain hole is just a hole in the end of the buffer tube ... no screw.  If covering the hole isn't going to affect functionality, I might try just covering it with something sticky and see if that works.  I might even be able to put some electrical or duct tape on the inside which should be held in place by the stock spacer and pressure.

[:)] LL [:)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Any pics of the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I put a quarter in the inside back end of my buffer tube.....no more stained shirts.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Cheap bastard that I am, I used a round toothpick.  Just stuck it in the hole and broke it off.  Easy to apply, easy to remove if I choose to.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Any pics of the rifle?
View Quote

Why yes, there is.  It's in the other thread, but for convenience I'll post again:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15227[/img]

Since posting the picture I have received my green brass deflector and installed it.  If you follow the above thread link, I also have a pic of the modified magazine block.

As for the drain hole, sounds like I can stick just about anything in there to plug up the hole.  I just need to make sure it doesn't interfere with the overall length of the buffer and spacer.

LL
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty badass there, especially with the hightop rail upper! [8D]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top