Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:38:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 10:51:31 AM EDT by chapperjoe]
Perfect. that's it.

okay, here are some details....

My present setup is the base CARA4 rifle with Surefire M73 handguards, A1 flash hider, First Samco grip, Magpul M93 stock, YHM rear buis, YHM eotech riser (incoming eotech). I use the tango down rail covers cause the rifle is so light I wanted to 'widen the grip' a little bit. just a personal preference I guess. When I want a light, I have a M900 with red LED's.

Took her out for first time, shot 7 Colt 32 rounds mags of 9mm 115gr FMJ.

one mag gave me double feeds, it's now isolated for range use only. No other FTF, no FTE, no gun F's period.

Mag catch/release is perfect and crisp.

Single stage trigger gets some getting used to after all the RRA double stages I have, but it's a very good trigger nonetheless.

No flash, but flash hider's cool anyway!

Recoil is very very low (lowest of any carbine I've fired - UMP, Storm, HK94, Camp, AR 45ZCP).

The flat top and rail handguard were pretty hot when I finished (~210 rounds in 25 minutes) but not burning hot at all.

Accuracy at the 50 foot line where I kept the targets was within 2 inches. Benchrest was a little tighter, standing rapid fire was a little wider I don't intend to shoot any further with this gun. But I trust it COMPLETELY within this range to stay within a fist sized target. More than I can say for my pistol skillz!

I was interested to see how the YHM iron sights were on repeatability, so I fired 20 3 shot bursts very quickly flipping the sight down and up twice in between. There was ZERO shift in aim/impact (I did loctite it to gun though) for the entire string. I could not hit anything with the large aperature, though I personally have this problem with all my AR's, seems the smaller one focuses my lame eyes better.

I am VERY impressed with this rifle, it is light, handy, very snag free, and easy to keep on target during firing strings. Andyou know what, from legal transfers, it ain't that expensive either.

(Mag with the orange sticker is the offender. 55$ <flush>)

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:59:02 AM EDT
Good post!

I have been wondering if there's any muzzle flash with a 16" barrel. I wonder how short a barrel can be before muzzle flash develops.

Nice to see how accurate they can be. That's another point I have been pondering.

Did you buy that setup as a complete rifle? Or did you use a 5.56 lower with block and install a 9mm upper?

I've started collecting parts for a 9mm build (just mags so far) but i'm still up in the air which mag block will suit me best.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:05:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:

Did you buy that setup as a complete rifle?

complete from legal transfers....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 5:30:01 AM EDT by chapperjoe]
eta: although it's single action trigger is not as sweet as the dual stage, the reset is REALLY short making rapid fire more controllable and natural.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:20:26 PM EDT
Very nice rifle and range report.

I am building up my first 9mm as well. I will be ordering my mag block and hopefully an Eotech this week. The upper and internals are all RRA.

It's good to hear yours is treating you well. I'll be sure to post a range report as well to help those out there who are debating.

Top Top