Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 9:31:59 AM EDT
Anyway to dampen the loosey goosey rattle on these things?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I just put a strip of electrical tape lengthwise on the top of the tube, in the area where it won't show w/the butt extended.  Doesn't totally eliminate the rattle, but cuts it back quite a bit.

Welcome to the world of "back and forth" stocks.  Funny how nobody bothers to mention the rattle factor, when they're pushing the idea about putting one on your piece

Hey, but I've owned a Colt collapsible job since 1977. So used to the back and forth don't even notice it any more
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks

I thought you liked disorder?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By entropy:

If there's a bad thermodynamics joke, I've never heard it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By entropy:

If there's a bad thermodynamics joke, I've never heard it.

In all seriousness.  How much is it rattling?  A ton?  Or just a little?  Because all collapsible stocks have a bit of movement in them when it comes to rotating them around the reciever extension.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Get used to it or get a Magpul for an arm and a leg.  These are the only choices.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
ahh, just shoot once with out plugs in and you wont even hear (or care) about the rattle.

(my rra is the same way... doesn't bother me much)
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't understand this. I actually LIKE a bit of rattle in ARs. Why, I don't know.

I also don't like that buffer spring noise on every shot. I can take a PING once every 8 shots ( Garand ), but one-per-shot?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Eventually you won't notice it, especially while the gun's in use.

And about that buffer noise. I took the AR out yesterday, and put 100 rounds through it. Funny thing is, even though 80 of those were slow, aimed fire at 300 yards, I don't remember hearing the buffer go back and forth once. You learn to tune out the things that don't matter. If you hunt at all, I'm sure you know of the phenomenon that occurs when you fire under stress -  you don't feel the recoil. Same applies to a lot of background noise. You zero in on what you need, and subconsciously eliminate what you don't. At least, that's how it works for me, and it works pretty good so far.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I too have just installed a RRA 6 position and noticed that it has play in it.  

Do colt collapsible stocks have less play
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Now to fix the spring sound, just grease that thing up good.  I did and no more spring rattle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Now to fix the spring sound, just grease that thing up good. I did and no more spring rattle.

WhyI mean, rattle and sproing and play in the receivers and all that stuff may be annoying, but if it has no effect on the functioning of the rifle, why bother? It's only a piece of machinery, after all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top