Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 4:15:14 AM EDT
I just put a RRA AR-15 Elite on lay away. It will be used for plinking pretty much. It came with a chrome moly barrel. From what I understand chrome moly is more accurate, but the chrome lined lasts longer. Is this true? Any thoughts on the RRA Elite. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:45:00 AM EDT
That is the way I understand it also. The RRA elite is a very nice rifle
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:51:16 AM EDT
It's a Rock River, you're ready to roll. It should give you years of excellent service. I build most of my rifles from RRA parts. Chrome vs. chrome-moly is a debated topic. How much you shoot will determine whether you need chrome lined. Both have their advantages and both have disadvantages. Chrome will undoubtedly last longer especially if you shoot full auto (which at this point is probably not the case). It's easier to clean for sure. If a chromed barrel is done well it can easily be just as accurate as a chrome-moly. It'll cost more though. Chrome moly is cheaper, shoots just as well or better than chromed and isn't that tough to clean but not as easy as chrome. Here's what you do: When you get your new rifle give it a good cleaning to remove excess oil and residual machining gunk. Then go and shoot the living hell out of that barrel! After 10-15 thousand rounds it might be time to re-barrel it. At this time you can put a nice chromed CMMG, Bushmaster, or Colt barrel on it if that's what you want. MJD
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:24:21 AM EDT
poop excuse me
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:37:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Swillis:
poop excuse me

WTF???? That makes no sense. If you don't have anything constructive to add then why post it? MJD
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:48:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By highwayman:
It's a Rock River, you're ready to roll. It should give you years of excellent service. I build most of my rifles from RRA parts. Chrome vs. chrome-moly is a debated topic. How much you shoot will determine whether you need chrome lined. Both have their advantages and both have disadvantages. Chrome will undoubtedly last longer especially if you shoot full auto (which at this point is probably not the case). It's easier to clean for sure. If a chromed barrel is done well it can easily be just as accurate as a chrome-moly. It'll cost more though. Chrome moly is cheaper, shoots just as well or better than chromed and isn't that tough to clean but not as easy as chrome. Here's what you do: When you get your new rifle give it a good cleaning to remove excess oil and residual machining gunk. Then go and shoot the living hell out of that barrel! After 10-15 thousand rounds it might be time to re-barrel it. At this time you can put a nice chromed CMMG, Bushmaster, or Colt barrel on it if that's what you want. MJD

Actually I was thinking about a SS barrel when I replace it???
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:00:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:06:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 10:27:05 AM EDT by Variablebinary]

Originally Posted By als54:
I just put a RRA AR-15 Elite on lay away. It will be used for plinking pretty much. It came with a chrome moly barrel. From what I understand chrome moly is more accurate, but the chrome lined lasts longer. Is this true? Any thoughts on the RRA Elite. Thanks in advance.

4140 is quite tough and with slow semi auto fire you should still be able to put holes in a man sized target beyond 20k rounds. When you can no longer shoot minute of man at 100 yards anymore, then it is time to change the barrel, doesnt matter if it is chrome lined or not
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:21:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 10:22:19 AM EDT by jjniven]

poop excuse me

You will love your RRA, I have several.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:46:42 AM EDT

poop excuse me

Grow up, or your posting life here will be short lived
Top Top