Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 10:34:29 AM EDT
Allright got a question for you'all. I just got my new M4 barrel from BUSHY and will be installing it tonight. I have to remove the flash supressor and the front site base because I use a FFT now. Right now if I look through my iron sights the red dot on my Aimpoint is on the front site pin, Shouldint I be able to line everything up with the red dot for reference to make sure the front sight tower is not canted when I reinstall it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The barrel has a pin protruding from the base (receiver end) and the receiver has a slot for that pin. It should automatically be lined up for you. In some cases an over torque of the barrel can cant the FSB, but taking the FSB off and reinstalling it will not remedy the problem unless you pull out a dremel. If it is not straight, undo the barrel nut and retorque with less force. Assemble.

Dont worry about wrenching that thing down. Get to the point where the barrel has no play and no wobble. Insert your gas tube and it will be trapped. You are now done.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#2]
don't forget the moly grease on the barrel extension/receiver threads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes JS15. I don't think your question was understood. You want to make sure your front sight goes back on straight and not so much talking about the barrel being mis-indexed. Your idea for using the dot sight is spot on for using as a guide to check alignment so long as you use a back up rear sight in conjunction. You need three points of reference or your dot will walk it's way to the front sight if you're not looking thru the back up sight to keep you honest. this also works for rebarreling which Knife Sniper was getting close to being on target with.

Re: the torque issue with the barrel nut. Once the force required begins peak when you get close, there's only going to one notch the gas tube will be anywhere close to being the right one. It's a no brainer really.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Wasn't the front sight pinned in place. Did you have to drive out 2 pins in order to remove the front sight? If so then just driving the pins back in will take care of realigment of the front sight. Not really anyway to mess this up.

Or was it held on via set screws like the Armalite ones?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top