Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/8/2003 5:08:49 PM EDT
To start off I have never used a precision mic to figure out my bullet depth. So I'm a newbie to this and need help!!! When I use the free bore tool between the bolt and lands, bolt closed. I than use the mic to measure it and I come up with a minus 16 on the mic. Can this be right???? If this is right when checking the bullet depth of a loaded military round the bullet has to be started into the lands after the bolt is closed, looks like the bullets need to be set deeper. My barrel is a ultra-match s/s .....Hope some of you that reload can help.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:56:57 AM EDT
I am thinking that you may not have the plastic bullet tight enough, and when you close the bolt, the thing falls in too far. I usually get a reading in the +4 range. I don't believe that you can load a round long enough to touch the lands for an "Ultramatch" barrel and still fit it in the magazine. At least I couldn't in my last two. Hope this helps you some.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2003 5:58:05 AM EDT by Waldo]
I've found that feature of the RCBS mic to be about worthless, IMHO. But, it works great for setting up your sizing die. I just take a sized case, start to seat the bullet I intend to load and slowly chamber it. Remove and measure OAL with calipers. It's actually more accurate since the ogive differs on bullet types/styles. Unless you're single loading an 80 gr. bullet for single load slow fire you're wasting your time anyway as it won't fit in a magazine.
Top Top