Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 8:33:42 AM EDT
Has anyone tried these yet?  They fit like normal plastic HG's but are made of aluminum and have large vents for cooling.  I'm curoius if they cool better than plastic M4's.

I still haven't decided on which handguards to buy and was leaning towards M4's.  I don't need the versatility of a "rail" system and don't want the comlexity of a FF system.  All I will ever mount is a weapon light.  Cooling capability and ruggedness are my primary concerns.

Pics would be great if anyone has them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Welll, since the double lined M4 HG's do not cool very well, these might work better.  But I'll bet they heat up and get uncomforatable pretty quick.  Not sure these are the answer to a problem anyone had [;)].
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Have the vented ones on a RRA upper. Seem well made, went on just like regular CAR handguards. Finish is a nice dark black, matches the upper.
Get a little warm but not unbearable. Seem cooler than the regular CAR HG's, maybe due to all the vents? E-mail for pic unless someone would be kind enough to post.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both the vented and unvented versions, and like both.  They are a good alternative to the standard handguards they replace, without the hassles associated with trying to convert to a FF tube.  I wear gloves when shooting, so heat on the offhand isn't a problem.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16728&title=AR-15+ALUMINUM+HANDGUARDS&s=41654#41654

I know that a vertical grip solves the heat problem, but I just don't like vertical foregrips.

I was just wondering if they cooled better, worse, or the same as plastic M4's.

Aluminum is a heat conductor which leads me to believe they might heat up quicker, but should cool off quicker, too.  The large vents certainly wouldn't hurt.  Plastic is an insulator and while it might not heat up as quickly, it might hold heat longer.  

Thanks for your input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top