Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2003 6:59:03 PM EDT
Sorry for such a general question but can someone please post their recommendation for the best combination of RAS system, with vertical foregrip and tac light with vertical foregrip?

Samco M44 or KAC RAS II?
Surefire G2 or Pelican M6?

etc..

Picture posts would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The RAS is the best choice of those two.  The Samco systems are nice for what they cost, but do not compare to the KAC or ARMS systems.  The RAS II will free float the barrel and provide a more rigid mount for optics over the long run.  The RAS II will remain stable as it doesn't rely on the delta ring to retain it on the weapon.  Eventually the delta ring is going to loosen and any system that depends on it will loose its rigidity because of that problem.  However, if you don't plan on using forward mounted optics or laser aiumers, then the Samco will be just fine for the job.

I don't have any experience with the Pelican lights, but they seem to have a growing reputation for quality and durability.  It is probably a better choice than a G2 for weapons mounting.  I believe Pelican makes a weapon light in the same price range as the G2, although the G2 is plenty sturdy.  I however, prefer not to take chances by mounting a handheld light like the G2 on a weapon, but many (including the 101st) have done it and with great success.  Personally, I wouldn't take the chance unless it were my only choice.  

Just be warned that the Pelicans haven't been around that long.  They seem to be very well made, but only time will tell.  The only sure thing right now is a Surefire Weapon light.  The classic series are only about $180 or so.  If you are using the rifle for duty or defense, saving $150 on a light isn't worth a life.  However, if it is for any non-life threatening purpose, you should be fine with the G2 if you replace the bezel with a shock isolated unit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The best for me is the KAC FF RAS and Surfire M900.  Many people on this board run this but your requirements may be different.

If you want a really light weight forend Id get the Daniel Defense rail system.  If it needs to just drop on then Id get the RAS 2.  

If you want a seperate light and forearm and dont want the M900 then get a Millenium 9V and mount that on one of the previously mentioned rails and use a GG&G or Tango Down front grip.

Thats my reccomendation.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want light weight, go with the 1st Samco/Fobus M44 with a G2 in a Fobus mount.  I can't think of anything lighter that wouldn't be hacked together, other than the old Fobus HG.  

That said, if you are going to be using a vetical grip and putting a lot of pressure on it, the RAS II free floats the barrel and prevents things from loosening up on you.  I have the M900 and an optic mounted on mine, they don't move, and zero doesn't change.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions. Can you someone post some pics with the KAC FF RAS and the M900?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions. Can you someone post some pics with the KAC FF RAS and the M900?
View Quote

Here is an MRE FF RAS w/ M900AB:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17816[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#7]
BSBG nice rifle! [:d]
I like the M96X series myself.  With a RAS MRE or rifle length FF RAS, I can mount the light forward towards the muzzle while still keeping the grip close to the magazine.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pec6b02e7f242c753e5a3369523e31e46/fa9a4975.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BSBG nice rifle! [:d]
I like the M96X series myself.  
View Quote

Actually, that's my preferred set up on this one, but the guy wanted to see an M900 w/ a RAS...

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17815[/img]

I only have one turbo head 972 and swapped it around for these pics.  I usually have a 962 on this one.

Nice Rifle, btw [:)].
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Regarding the M900 with vertical foregrip:

Now, that I see this picture, I was wondering if that setup presents problems when going prone?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
No, not at all as the mag is longer than the M900.  You also have options for the standard A bezel and the non-master-defeat cap on the bottom which will give the light a lower profile.

This is the longer defeat switch and the A bezel on my M900A with short FF RAS.

[img]http://www.btammolabs.com/images/m42.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks so much for the excellent pics. Those rifles are awesome.

So, the follow-up question is...

Can someone recommend a good dealer for the KAC RAS II or Carbine FF RAS?  M900A?

How about someone who sells it as a packaged deal?

Any input very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
There are several members here who are also 'industry' members (see the industry page).

I have gotten excellent help from the following:

[url]http://www.mstn.biz[/url]
[url]http://www.gandrtactical.com[/url]
[url]http://www.eaglefirearms.net[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the M96X on a RAS. It isn't a cheap way to go, but nothing else compares IMHO.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20511[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad you brought up the issue of cost...

It seems like either option is about the same price:

KAC RAS II ($350)
M900A ($400)

OR

KAC RAS II ($350)
M962SU ($350)
Vertical Foregrip ($50)

Either way, it's a chunk of change..
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Either way, it's a chunk of change..
View Quote

Ain't that the truth! I like the M962 setup since I can remove the light and still have the forward handle. I have the click cap on the light and can easily use my thumb to activate it. Simple and effective.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you currently have a muzzle devise installed?  If not he FF RAS can be installed and its about $50-60 less expensive than the price you have for the RAS 2.  I paid $299 for my FF RAS and $409 for the M900.  You can install it yourself no problem or at least hook up with a local AR15.com member and use his tools.

IMO the ability to remove the light and keep the vertical grip is over rated.  You should NEVER remove the light from your rifle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMO the ability to remove the light and keep the vertical grip is over rated.  You should NEVER remove the light from your rifle.
View Quote

I keep it on the rifle almost all the time, but if I'm just taking it to the range to play around it comes off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Devl,

I don't actually know the answer to this question since it's a prerequisite for the FF RAS. I have a post ban RRA LAR-15.

Do only pre ban rifles have removal muzzle devices?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Devl,

I don't actually know the answer to this question since it's a prerequisite for the FF RAS. I have a post ban RRA LAR-15.

Do only pre ban rifles have removal muzzle devices?
View Quote

That depends on which setup you have on your rifle.  Do you have a muzzle brake installed at the muzzle.  If so, most companies, including RRA, use a normal threaded muzzle and permanently install the brake so you can't easily take it off and install a flash suppressor, which would be illegal.  

Some companies, like Olympic, use a muzzle brake that uses set screw which lock into dimples or a groove at the muzzle of the rifle.  Most of these are just loctited on, so you can use heat or a lot of muscle to unscrew them.  

Rock River also has the postban M4 with a fake flash suppressor which is pressed on over the muzzle.  While it is not impossible to remove it, i think it would probably destroy the pressed on attachemnt.  It would also probably leave some ugly marks on the muzzle where it used to be pressed on.  The barrel would have to be cut and threaded and have another muzzle attachemnt, such as a brake or fake suppressor, installed and permanently attached to bring it back to the legal length.  

And, lastly, some barrels don't have any attachment at all, just a bare muzzle or a muzzle with a target crown.  

The question is, what do you have at the end of your barrel?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top