Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 9:28:16 AM EDT
I searched for this info here but either I missed it of no one has mentioned it.

I just got my 9mm AR w/a Daniel Defense railed hanguard. I really like the slim feel it has because of its oval profile.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 9.0 Larue to replace the KAC Carbine FF RAS I have on my 16" AR but I was wondering if the Larue has a circular or oval profile?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Oval, very similiar to the DD.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Oval, very similiar to the DD.

I thought they were similar. Thank you mongo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
i wanted to know the anwser to that too, thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a crappy illustration of the 2 handguards in question.

On the DD, the top and bottom rail are the same height, and the 2 side rails are the same as each other, but they're shorter than the top and bottom rail.

On the LaRue the side rails and the bottom rail are the same height, only the top rail is higher to line up with the flat top upper rail.

Unless your holding your LaRue upside down, it has more of a round profile on the bottom.

Edited to add: I believe the DD rail is about .010 narrower than the LaRue on the side to side measurement.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

On the DD, the top and bottom rail are the same height, and the 2 side rails are the same as each other, but they're shorter than the top and bottom rail.

On the LaRue the side rails and the bottom rail are the same height, only the top rail is higher to line up with the flat top upper rail.

Unless your holding your LaRue upside down, it has more of a round profile on the bottom.

Edited to add: I believe the DD rail is about .010 narrower than the LaRue on the side to side measurement.

Interesting. I've never seen a Larue RAS in person but, based upon your image, I would think that some accessories would have a problem fitting on the bottom rail because it's short. Then again, if this is the case, I'm sure some folks would have reported such problems. Is my assessment incorrect? Is the rail tall enough to avoid such problems?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
All the LaRue rails are to spec. And everything I have tried fits on there just fine, to include the infamous Tango Down verticle grip.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
All the LaRue rails are to spec. And everything I have tried fits on there just fine, to include the infamous Tango Down verticle grip.

Excellent. I'm very happy to hear that. I wonder why slightly used KAC FF RAS are going for nowadays? I had a traumatic experience with a C-More Quadrail years that was out of spec (rails were too short) which is why I raised the question.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent. I'm very happy to hear that. I wonder why slightly used KAC FF RAS are going for nowadays? I had a traumatic experience with a C-More Quadrail years that was out of spec (rails were too short) which is why I raised the question.

OK, I´ll take it (KAC FF RAS)! How much?

MN
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If I had to guess based on the two pics below, borrowed from Grant, the LaRue side rails sit lower in the profile than the DD, but I'd guess, based on handling both that the LaRue and DD rail systems are about the same height, top to bottom.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I measured my LaRue and got these numbers.

LaRue
Width: 1.995"
Height: 2.210

I don't have a DD rail anymore, but came up with these numbers based on what I can remember about it and a little mathimatical wizardry.

Daniel Defense
Width: 1.985"
Height: 2.425"

It's a difference of .215"

Can anyone with a DD rail and a set of dial calipers please confirm or refute my numbers.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a DD in my hot little hand and it measures 2.440".  It is obvious in the pics also.  Look at the bottom rail in relation to the tube nut.  I should have seen that earlier.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks mongo.

I knew I was close to the right numbers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top