Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/3/2003 5:30:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/3/2003 6:55:31 AM EDT by Yojimbo]
This weekend when I was cleaning my carbine on one of my pull throughs I could have swore it felt like the brass patch holder was scraping the barrel! It gave me chills like when someone runs a fingernail accross a chalkboard. I know I'm using the correct size tips and that I folded the patch properly and I'm careful to always pull straight.

Have any of you Otis kit users ran into this?

My barrel is chromelined so I wasn't too worried and when I looked through it I didn't see any marking. Either way it sure didn't feel right.

I'm thinking this could be bad for unlined match barrels.

So, is this normal or am I being paranoid?

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:04:54 AM EDT
I know what your talking about. But the brass tips are soft.Even if the barrel isn't chromed lined. Think about your copper jacketed bullet being forced down the barrel draging on it while spining .The brass patch tip holder ain't ging to hurt the barrel. Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:15:17 AM EDT
otis kits were not designed for MATCH grade barrels and if your a good enough shot to be worried about such things then a high quality rod and bore guide should be your only choice. If it's a standard AR15 then pull away. if in fact the jag could scratch the steel i doubt it would make that much difference with milsurp ammo. mike
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:56:52 AM EDT
Thanks guys, I feel better now. BTW, I only use the coated Dewey rods form my PSS...[:D]
Top Top