Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/17/2006 10:13:20 AM EDT
I want to put a new barrel on my 16" AR-15. The current barrel is heavy and the handguards are too short. I'd like a lighter weight barrel and mid-length handguards. Since I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, I'd like to install a barrel myself. I've build an FAL once and I'm an engineer, so I'm suppose to be capable of doing this kind of thing. What tools do I need to install a barrel? I know I'll need some sort of barrel wrench. I'd appreciate advice on who makes one that is the best value for the money. It would be nice if the barrel wrench also has other uses (like installing flash hiders). I'm guessing that I'll also need headspace gauges. Again, which ones should I purchase and should they be 223Rem or 5.56NATO? What other tools might I need?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:40:23 AM EDT
Well there is a post around here somwhere with a good list of tools, but being that I just went through this myself here is what I got. Action block set, Barrel wrench, for installing barrel. I also bought a punch set and the front takedown install tool for future builds. I got all my stuff from Bravo Company. Check here www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=251786
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:50:43 AM EDT
You need to read the threads "tacked" to the top of this forum, which contains all the info your seeking on tools and BIY details.......

Mike

ps - that's what their there for
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:07:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:
You need to read the threads "tacked" to the top of this forum, which contains all the info your seeking on tools and BIY details.......

Now don't I feel stupid. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Top Top