Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2002 1:05:58 PM EDT
OK, just to clear this up in my head:

Can a postban AR have a permanently pinned on flash suppressor like this:

or this:

Or can it only have a muzzle brake or a crowned barrel?

Reason I ask is I just got a RRA M4 upper that has the RRA fake suppressor looking piece on the front.  I like that from a noise point of view (i.e. it will cut some of the noise of the Armalite breaks I'm used to), but looks and function are suffering IMHO.

Please advise....thanks.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No, flash suppressors are not allowed on a postban AR, even if permanently attached. Unless you get ride of the "conspicuous pistol grip." You'll have to stay with a nekkid muzzle or a muzzle brake of some design.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No, flash suppressors are not allowed on a postban AR, even if permanently attached. Unless you get ride of the "conspicuous pistol grip." You'll have to stay with a nekkid muzzle or a muzzle brake of some design.
View Quote

[img]www.zmweapons.com/images/Horzgripsm.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
PostBan = NO threads , No Flash suppresor.

Check out Kurts Kustom in the industry forums,
or-----

[url]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/1128.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm new to the AR world so I got a stupid question.  What supposed to be the real reason for a muzzle brake????  I just got a Colt Preban and It's got the thing that is in the second picture that SHIVAN has in his post.  What is that called and what is the real purpose of it????  Bear with me guys I'm learning all this as I go.  I went out last weekend and put 60 rounds through it and it was freakin LOUD!!  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#5]
muzzle brake - reduces felt recoil by directing muzzle gases back.

compensator - reduces muzzle flip by directing muzzle gases upward.

flash hider - prevents shooter from being blinded by muzzle flash in low-light conditions by shielding shooter's eyes from the muzzle flash.

flash suppressor - prevents shooter from being blinded by muzzle flash in low-light conditions, and reduces chance shooter will be spotted by an enemy in low-light conditions by reducing the overall flash at the muzzle.

First item shown by shivan - a phantom flash suppressor.  Quite effective.  Not a brake or compensator - just reduces muzzle flash and is not legal on a post-ban semi auto with a pistol grip and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

"Mini Y-comp" - combination muzzle brake and compensator, but not a flash suppressor.

"GI cone-style flash hider" - flash hider, but not a brake, flash suppressor or compensator.

"AK-74 style brake" - muzzle brake and compensator, but not a flash suppressor or hider.

"AK slant comp" - compensator but not a muzzle brake, flash suppressor or flash hider.

"A1 GI birdcage suppressor" - flash suppressor but not a brake or compensator.

"A2 GI half-birdcage suppressor" - flash suppressor and compensator, but not a muzzle brake.

"Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor" - arguably the most effective flash suppressor available, but not a brake or comp.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
muzzle brake - reduces felt recoil by directing muzzle gases back.

compensator - reduces muzzle flip by directing muzzle gases upward.

flash hider - prevents shooter from being blinded by muzzle flash in low-light conditions by shielding shooter's eyes from the muzzle flash.

flash suppressor - prevents shooter from being blinded by muzzle flash in low-light conditions, and reduces chance shooter will be spotted by an enemy in low-light conditions by reducing the overall flash at the muzzle.

First item shown by shivan - a phantom flash suppressor.  Quite effective.  Not a brake or compensator - just reduces muzzle flash and is not legal on a post-ban semi auto with a pistol grip and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

"Mini Y-comp" - combination muzzle brake and compensator, but not a flash suppressor.

"GI cone-style flash hider" - flash hider, but not a brake, flash suppressor or compensator.

"AK-74 style brake" - muzzle brake and compensator, but not a flash suppressor or hider.

"AK slant comp" - compensator but not a muzzle brake, flash suppressor or flash hider.

"A1 GI birdcage suppressor" - flash suppressor but not a brake or compensator.

"A2 GI half-birdcage suppressor" - flash suppressor and compensator, but not a muzzle brake.

"Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor" - arguably the most effective flash suppressor available, but not a brake or comp.
View Quote

Wow, that's some great info.  What is the second picture that SHIVAN has up there???  That's what's on my Preban AR now.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The second one shown by shivan is a long A1 birdcage flash suppressor.  It's usually used to bring 11.5" barrels up to a legal 16" total length.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The second one shown by shivan is a long A1 birdcage flash suppressor.  It's usually used to bring 11.5" barrels up to a legal 16" total length.
View Quote

Ah, I see.  I got a 16" barrel so my actual barrel is really 11.5"??
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The second pic could also be a "slip over" flash suppressor, which is internally threaded just behind the slots.  You put it on 16" barrel to give it a CAR-15 look.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's another question.  My posty has a Y brake on the end and i frickin hate it.  it is deafening.  I am going to have it chopped off and a fake FS installed (no ports).  Am I REALLY going to notice much more muzzle climb from the .223 round?

-Nuke
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#11]
The .223's muzzle will climb? [?][:)](added levity)

No, the answer is no you won't see an appreciable change....maybe if full auto.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, Shivan.  I didn't think it would be an issue.  I put a brake on my AK for rapid fire, but even it didnt really need one in my opinion.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Nuke:

Was jerking your chain.....it will not really even move much to be honest with you.  When I shot one with no brake I was able to stay on target with the slighest of movement to re-acquire the target.  Less than .5".

Ed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top