Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2011 10:37:50 AM EDT
I have never owned any AR in any other caliber other than 5.56. What parts other than the barrel do I need to consider that are not standard? Do I need a different bolt and carrier? I understand the issue with mags. Any insight will help me.

Do any of you hunt hogs with 7.62x39? What are your thoughts on that issue?

Thanks to all.

eseaton
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
All you need is a barrel, bolt (same carrier) and mags.  That's all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I would buy a high strength bolt.

Hogs yes.

It works, but I like the 6.8 SPC mostly due to better bullet selection.

The 7.62x39 wolf ammo is crap. I hunted one season with 154 gr wolf ammo
and the lead is so hard it does not expand. Goes through like a drill.

If you set one up just use high quality hunting ammo from Remington, Win etc and you will do fine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I lot of people recommend getting an enhanced 7.62x39 firing pin. Model 1 Sales carries them for $20.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I lot of people recommend getting an enhanced 7.62x39 firing pin. Model 1 Sales carries them for $20.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info so far.
So a stronger firing pin and I would need a different bolt but the AR15 carrier for the 5.56 is the same, correct?

eseaton
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my barrel from AR performance based on feedback from this forum. It comes with a bolt and firing pin. I haven't had any problems with light primer strikes or any feeding issues. The gun has run 100% with Wolf FMG and Yugo M67.

I don't feel like the M67 is inadequate for hunting, but i don't mind paying a little more for hunting ammo.

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/803
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So a stronger firing pin and I would need a different bolt but the AR15 carrier for the 5.56 is the same, correct?

eseaton

correct. magazines too. 30rd magazines are really hard to find right now.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
The Model 1 Sales firing pin is made to have a slightly greater protrusion thru the bolt face than the stock 556/68/etc firing pins. I also shoot Yugoslav M67 thru my 762x39 ARs and have had zero issues with firing since purchasing it. Some people have said you can cut a little off the tail of the bolt but have found the firing pin to bottom out inside the carrier.  The M1S firing pin is worth it imho. I also use CLP and gun scrubber to clean the BCG and gun after shooting. Performance is great with this cartridge in shorter barrels because the 30cal bore allows more powder to be burnt before the bullet exits. 2100fps from a 123gr round is nothing to laugh at by any stretch. The 68 does have greater ammunition selection but 5x the cost....
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The Model 1 Sales firing pin is made to have a slightly greater protrusion thru the bolt face than the stock 556/68/etc firing pins. I also shoot Yugoslav M67 thru my 762x39 ARs and have had zero issues with firing since purchasing it. Some people have said you can cut a little off the tail of the bolt but have found the firing pin to bottom out inside the carrier. The M1S firing pin is worth it imho. I also use CLP and gun scrubber to clean the BCG and gun after shooting. Performance is great with this cartridge in shorter barrels because the 30cal bore allows more powder to be burnt before the bullet exits. 2100fps from a 123gr round is nothing to laugh at by any stretch. The 68 does have greater ammunition selection but 5x the cost....

I should point out that Galati International also offers a 7.62x39 firing pin that will penetrate those hard Wolf primers.  I just got mine yesterday and am happy to report I can finally use up my current stocks of wolf and brown bear.

http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=MDP325&Category_Code=AR15_Parts
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

eseaton

I just ordered some from the C-Products online store. Couldn't find them anywhere else but JSE Surplus for close to $30.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Palmetto also has them for $18 last time I saw them––-last night. You might be able to find them at AIM for around $13ea.

Posted from my Blackberry on AlphaRomeo15dotCharlieOscarMike
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Palmetto also has them for $18 last time I saw them––-last night. You might be able to find them at AIM for around $13ea.

Posted from my Blackberry on AlphaRomeo15dotCharlieOscarMike

Both have been sold out for quite some time. I've been on the notification email list since January. I think the sites (except JSE) with the higher prices were not updated and sold out for years. I can't remember a new production C-Products magazine being over $20 since 2008.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up some 30rd mags from model 1 sales at a local gun show for $19 each last sunday.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Those mags are junk.  Franken mags are the only ones supposed to be 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Those mags are junk.  Franken mags are the only ones supposed to be 100% reliable.

And have you tried the "junk" mags?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to know this also.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I have (4) 10 round and (6) 30 round magazines from C-Products and they all run flawlessly. The last place I purchased the 30 round magazines was from Midway USA about a month ago.

I also had the light primer strikes when using Wolf or military ammunition... I fixed this problem by purchasing a Wolf X-power hammer spring and by chucking the standard firing pin in a drill press and removed approximately .010" from the shoulder that contacts with the bolt. Now she will cycle anything.

To answer the OP... The needed parts are; barrel, (7.62x39) bolt, and magazines.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 5 30 rd c-product mags that run perfectly, but I also have 5 10 rounders that fail to drop out of the mag well and repeatedly ram rounds into the feedramps/front of the mag. If you haven't heard c-products warranty and customer service are out the window right now. so if you are lucky with the particular mags c-products are great, but if you aren't....
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I fixed this problem by purchasing a Wolf X-power hammer spring

+1
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I had to send 3 mags back at my cost.  I was so pissed.  Not even when loaded with 5 rounds, that dang thing wouldn't feed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Went to  the range yesterday with 300 rds of brown bear, wolf, and some tula in three different 30rd c products junk mags and didn't have a single issue. These mags must be some real pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Went to  the range yesterday with 300 rds of brown bear, wolf, and some tula in three different 30rd c products junk mags and didn't have a single issue. These mags must be some real pieces of shit.

they are imo. Frankenmags work much better.  Read the reviews in the mag forum.  They also used to have a forum in the Industry forum.  They must have fixed a "problem" or you won the lottery.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#23]
There are two generations of c-products mags. Gen 1 were complete trash,but all mags produced recently are actually quite reliable, albeit quite hard to find while they are going through their "transition".
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know how long the "transition" is supposed to last?
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

eseaton

I just ordered some from the C-Products online store. Couldn't find them anywhere else but JSE Surplus for close to $30.

Well despite getting an automated order confirmation 2 weeks ago, apparently the C-Products web store was not supposed to be running and since the main web site was shut down nobody should have ordered from the functioning online store.

With this new setback, I said fuck it and ordered some 30 rounders from Whatacountry for $25 each just in case they never resume production. I am not so sure about Ammo Solutions magazines yet.

ymmv

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#26]
May be a bad idea but has anyone tried to make a frankenmag using plastic mags. Take a 10 round ar and glue a 30rnd ak to it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd run a Wolff AK mag spring before attempting to make a Frankenmag. You'd also consider polishing the feedramps. I did mine to 2000 grit and it works wonderfully. Also feedramp extensions might be a good idea. Dremel with a green or orange cone then polish.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:29:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Any problem with the larger (30rnd) mags when the rounds enter the straight section, such as binding or not aligning for feed?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Get a dremel with a green or orange grinding cone and extend the feedramps a little bit.  Unless you plan rebarreling the upper in a different caliber someday, this will be ok.  I do not plan on changing calibers but possibly rebarreling it one day when I've run 10k thru it.  I'm not even close yet...

Polish from 360 to 480 to 600 to 800 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000 grit sandpaper and you'll see how much smoother the bullets will feed.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top