Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:32:21 PM EDT
Okay here's my dilemna.

I would like to get an AR-15. I am not truly sure if I want something for short range plinking or something that would be better for longer range varmint hunting.  Also, while I have fired a few rounds through a couple different folks' AR, I am new to this, so I might need something entry level to get used to the manual of arms as well as get a feel perhaps for what I want.  The guys over at SIG Forum told me that you guys here were a wealth of information, so what are your reccomendations for this quandry?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for  a 16",make sure it is chrome lined  barrel,also stay away  from cast   upper & lowers.

Also check out ar15.com  for sale & trade forums.

TG

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You can always have 2 uppers to switch out between... One for varment hunting and one for plinking... or another for long range.. or another for...well, you get the picture... Just get a good lower for sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't make the mistake of buying the cheapest AR you can find (the Oly Plinker comes to mind). I would definately go with a forged lower, and if I was to only have one AR I would go with a 16 inch M4 varient with collapsible stock now that the ban is gone. If you get bitten by the AR bug you will likely want another one, and I would make that one a 20 inch with the A2 stock. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to ar15.com.

I'd recommend a 20" Gov't profile barrel for it's balance, light weight, and ballistics. If it's mounted to a flattop upper you have real versatility for either of your interests. Do remember though, a jack of all trades is a master of none. The ultimate would be a CQB carbine upper for plinking and a free floated match grade 20 something upper for long range. Each would obviously need appropriate optics.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay here's my dilemna.

I would like to get an AR-15. I am not truly sure if I want something for short range plinking or something that would be better for longer range varmint hunting.  Also, while I have fired a few rounds through a couple different folks' AR, I am new to this, so I might need something entry level to get used to the manual of arms as well as get a feel perhaps for what I want.  The guys over at SIG Forum told me that you guys here were a wealth of information, so what are your reccomendations for this quandry?

Thanks.

Welcome...

Read this:
jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=190432

Browse through this:jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=201315

For stuff to buy, jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, read the threads above and welcome aboard.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top