Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2004 5:32:21 PM EST
Okay here's my dilemna.

I would like to get an AR-15. I am not truly sure if I want something for short range plinking or something that would be better for longer range varmint hunting. Also, while I have fired a few rounds through a couple different folks' AR, I am new to this, so I might need something entry level to get used to the manual of arms as well as get a feel perhaps for what I want. The guys over at SIG Forum told me that you guys here were a wealth of information, so what are your reccomendations for this quandry?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:07:52 PM EST
Go for a 16",make sure it is chrome lined barrel,also stay away from cast upper & lowers.

Also check out ar15.com for sale & trade forums.

TG

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:15:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 6:16:09 PM EST by DM1975]
You can always have 2 uppers to switch out between... One for varment hunting and one for plinking... or another for long range.. or another for...well, you get the picture... Just get a good lower for sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:43:30 PM EST
Don't make the mistake of buying the cheapest AR you can find (the Oly Plinker comes to mind). I would definately go with a forged lower, and if I was to only have one AR I would go with a 16 inch M4 varient with collapsible stock now that the ban is gone. If you get bitten by the AR bug you will likely want another one, and I would make that one a 20 inch with the A2 stock. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:45:14 PM EST
Welcome to ar15.com.

I'd recommend a 20" Gov't profile barrel for it's balance, light weight, and ballistics. If it's mounted to a flattop upper you have real versatility for either of your interests. Do remember though, a jack of all trades is a master of none. The ultimate would be a CQB carbine upper for plinking and a free floated match grade 20 something upper for long range. Each would obviously need appropriate optics.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:08:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 7:13:41 AM EST by SkiandShoot]

Originally Posted By JayhawkinTX:
Okay here's my dilemna.

I would like to get an AR-15. I am not truly sure if I want something for short range plinking or something that would be better for longer range varmint hunting. Also, while I have fired a few rounds through a couple different folks' AR, I am new to this, so I might need something entry level to get used to the manual of arms as well as get a feel perhaps for what I want. The guys over at SIG Forum told me that you guys here were a wealth of information, so what are your reccomendations for this quandry?

Thanks.

Welcome...

Read this:
jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=190432

Browse through this:jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=201315

For stuff to buy, jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:22:43 AM EST
Yes, read the threads above and welcome aboard.
Top Top