Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 7:36:19 AM EST
I have a shot out 20 inch light weight barrel that I would like to play with. I want to use this to make dedicated 22lr upper. I want to move the sight post back to accept carbine handguards (22lr no gasport needed) and shorten the barrel. What I need to know is how to recrown and thread the barrel for a flash hider. I would like to use a standard A2 flash hider and need to know the thread size. I have the standard garage type power tools but need to know where to buy tools to actually thread the barrel.

I know it would be easier to have this done by a professional so if anyone else has done this and failed miserably let me know so I just go and buy a new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:18:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/5/2004 11:19:18 AM EST by Tyrod]
Buy a new barrel. First, the 22LR is .222 diameter which makes it kinda loose in a .223 bore in good condition. It would be very loose in a shot out barrel. Not to mention it's the wrong twist. I doubt you'd get 4 - 6" at 50 yrds. Second, while Brownells sells a die for cutting the muzzle for a flash suppressor, you'd still have to have the muzzle turned down to the correct diameter. Third, Brownells also sells a handheld crowning cutter, but it indexes off the bore. If your barrel is shot out then you wouldn't get a very accuate cut. By the time you bought the dies and cutters and risk screwing the whole thing up, you prolly be half way to buying a new barrel just as you want. I would imagine you could get a 22lr barrel for $100 to $150. Diligent shopping would get you closer to the $100 mark or less. Try eBay.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:36:09 AM EST
Couple ways to go about it.

You might be better off relining the old barrel with a rimfire liner. They come in lenghs around 26", about .312 diameter. I've never tried to drill out a chrome bore, and it might take a couple bits to do it. I've done this on a old marlin 1892 and it is a pretty slick method.

You can buy 10/22 barrels for 10-15 bucks on Ebay. These are already chambered and cheap to play with. The diameter and length is a bit short, but make for good practice.

A used Win52 barrel should be on ebay every now and then. It is the chamber end that goes, and cutting a bit off a 28" barrel and rechambering shouldn't be a problem. A machine shop could do simple contouring in a couple hours....

:) You really need serious guy tools.
Top Top