Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 8:29:22 PM EDT
I'm not super knowledgable about CNC machining, so maybe someone can enlighten me.  I "assume" that all the receiver markings are simply programmed into the computer and could be changed pretty easily.  I base this on the assumption that the serial numbers are engraved in the same way as the logo and fire-safe markings.

What I'm getting to, is whether or not a manufacturer could (for a reasonable fee), engrave whatever logo you want on a receiver (except trademarked designs), assuming you could supply the image as a simple line drawing in a  .gif or .jpg format.

Stag, Ameetec, Mega, etc. all have excellent repuations for the quality of their lowers.  However, for purely cosmetic reasons, I just don't like their logo.  Is it practical to try and get a custom logo, say with the outline of my home state, a bear, etc.?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Contact Ameetec Arms they have a lower with a BEAR on it.  A Grizzly Bear.  And NO you cant have your logo put on a lower as the ATF has to approve it.  You could however, have the manufacturers engrave it on the other side.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you certain about the logo? I know Olympic Arms uses at least two, and you can get them remade to use a different logo if you wish. I know the manufacturers name and location is required.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Contact Ameetec Arms they have a lower with a BEAR on it.  A Grizzly Bear.  And NO you cant have your logo put on a lower as the ATF has to approve it.  You could however, have the manufacturers engrave it on the other side.

Why would the BATFE have to approve your logo?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Bushy markings are pressed into the lower with approximately 25000 lbs. of pressure. The serial numbers are computer controlled. I doubt if any company is going to take 1 lower out of production sequence and custom mark it. A gunsmith might do it for you, but that would be after the piece was finished and the engraving would be in the white. The finish is quite hard. I only know this because one of the lower manufacturers for Bushmaster is located in the town I work in, and I asked about it.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
HD Rifles

talk to Jeff Hicks there... I know they can do them and they're great guys to boot...

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF requires logos be submitted for approval to ensure that logos are clear and legible,  There are also requirements about things like depth of the stampings to ensure that the stampings will remain legible.

ATF has done things like shut down a winery for using labels that had a background that was a slightly different shade of blue than what was on the proof they submitted to ATF for approval, so there should be no doubt about the importance of thier requirements.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF requires logos be submitted for approval to ensure that logos are clear and legible,  There are also requirements about things like depth of the stampings to ensure that the stampings will remain legible.

ATF has done things like shut down a winery for using labels that had a background that was a slightly different shade of blue than what was on the proof they submitted to ATF for approval, so there should be no doubt about the importance of thier requirements.

Wow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top