Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 5:47:46 PM EDT
Not that I will ever really need it but what have you guys used and or recommend for carrying mags/other stuff. This was prompted by a post I saw earlier.

I am considering purchasing something that will carry either ar mags or g3 mags.  I do most of my target practice on the family farm since there arent exactly any good ranges nearby.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
everything here is uncle mike's except the mag pouches which are blackhawk.  yes it gets a little heavy which is half the reason i plan to get a tactical vest with belt loops.

[image]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/everswa/dutyrig.jpg[/image]

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are looking for something that is more mil-spec, you can go to different military surplus stores on-line.  I personally like Ranger Joe, he has good prices and ships quickly.  All the stuff he has is like what the military actually uses.  I do not know what size mag pouches he has and if they will fit a 308 mag in them or not.

SrA Trix, USAF
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of pistol is that, looks kind of like a sig? thanks, I will keep my eyes open.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
that's a full size HK USP40 in that pic.  only mod on that gun is a set of tritium sights.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Eagle Industry, Blackhawk or Arktis vests if you are planning on carrying mags. My Eagle Tac-V holds 12 AR mags, compass, 3liter Camelback, radio, compass, butt attached to the back, map pockets on the inside, etc...I love the thing!

MOLLE is great stuff as well...I had some in a few months ago. Well-made gear and darn versatile!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have MOLLE gear as well.

[img]http://home.att.net/~dbmsb/wsb/media/132360/site1123.jpg[/img]

I tell you this, I really like it alot. Better than other vests.

A tip-Buy the FLC-fighting load carrier and Belt on Ebay because they go cheaper on there than anywhere else. Then buy the pouches from [url]www.specialtydefense.com[/url] . They are cheaper than ANYONE on Ebay and any retail outlet.  I built my set-up for $160. It has 4 double mag pouches, 2 single pouches, 3 grenade pouchs which I use for small items, 2 canteen pouches, a SABER radio pouch and a butt pack.

Specialty is the contracter and they were running behind about 4 weeks, but that was at the first of the year....
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a good spot also; [url]http://www.lightfighter.com[/url]
Plus the have a forums section so that you can ask lots of gear questions.
-David
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#9]
edited...MOLLE is darn nice, and i think i finally got my FLC vest to fit properly!  just got a BHI R.A.C.K. systems that's cool for mostly mags but not really a true LBV....
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the pre-MOLLE LBV.  It carries 6 mags plus it has 2 smaller grenade pouches.  I used to use the old ALICE web set up, but it really is outdated now that so much other stuff is available.  I would say that some type of LBV set up is the way to go.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out Lightfighter's site. The "Second Line Gear" forum (all forums there actually) has loads of info from people with some SERIOUS knowledge and experience.

I use this type of gear for a living and can tell you that, if your budget allows, there are much better options than issue MOLLE gear. It's not "bad", there are just better options.

This is the rig I used in Iraq with one exception. The P.O.S. issue SAW pouch was added when I removed a second Paraclete small GP pouch to use on my armor. The harness is an SO Tech Hellcat from www.lightfighter.com.

[IMG]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/3294HellcatOIF-med.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you like the Hellcat, green? i'm stuck between that and a MAV. Leaning towards the MAV cos i like the X harness, but i also like the idea of being able to drop the gear and keep 6 mags up close and handy with the Hellcat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#13]
If you go MOLLE.  Dog is right on with the tip.  I picked up a first generation Specialty Defense LBV for $30 on ebay.  Buy the pouches direct, folks get out of hand with prices on EBAY for pouches.  Excellent advice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I got lucky on my FLC...I got it off Ebay as well for $15....It was one of those days when there was a ton on there and I just hit it on the right time.

One other thing I did which is not in that pic- I bought 3 yards of a Mil-spec waterproof camo nylon and will have a seamstress sew on the inside of the vest two pockets, one on each side. They will make good map pockets, small items, binocs, etc.

It cost $8 bucks for the cloth and will cost $10 for her to double stitch it.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I love the Hellcat. I have an assload of different types of gear & it is one of, if not my favorite rigs. I will soon add a split-front variant to my gear locker.

I just picked up a second-hand TT MAV & Xharness for dirt cheap yesterday. It's a good rig if you're on a budget. I'd take it over the MOLLE FLC any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The construction and materials are not as rugged as the Hellcat. This is reflected in the cost, of course. Either one will work. The Hellcat will just take more abuse.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I just emailed SOTech about working me up a PALS rig sort of like the Hellcat with some custom touches.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I will say this, the 1st gen MOLLE FLC is a [i]tad[/i] lighter built than I would have perfered, but the 2 gen MOLLE FLC addresses the lighter construction and does have the inside pockets for maps, etc.

One vest I may buy in the future is a Tactical Tailor Modular TAC-Vest. It's PALS, SPEAR, MOLLE compatiable and has more placement options than the MOLLE. Plus it has a full back panel that has mounting strips.

[url]www.lightfighter.com[/url] has them under the "Modular Vest" section...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a picture of my rig I use when I go target shooting.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p0d0b97dd99b680ce3476e78a6447f508/fbd5fac3.jpg[/img]

It has an Uncle Mike's tactical belt, two Bianchi dual pistol mag pouches, Blackhawk drop-leg holster, blackhawk drop-leg four-rifle-mag pouch, and a Blackhawk twenty shotshell pouch.

It carries everything I need for my rifle, shotgun, and pistol while I am target shooting.

When you set up your rig, figure what you want to carry (pistols, mags, shells, accessories), and where you want to carry them (vest, belt, legs), then surf the web for what you want.

Everything you will ever need will probably be at www.lightfighter.com.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Sweet setup, SR.

That's what I call "prepared for anything."
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top