Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2003 2:33:21 PM EDT
I recently picked up a A2 20 inch upper that I will be using exclusively with a .22 conversion kit.  What should I do as far as modifications to the upper for full time .22 use?  Should I remove the gas tube?  If so, what do I do about the remaining holes?

Thanks in advance,
- NeedAClip
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You really don't need to do anything with the gas tube, unless you need/want a spare.  The hole you could just leave as is.  I have a Carbine that was used solely for .22 and the gas tube holes are still there (under the handguard).
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I just don't understand why you, or anybody else for that matter, would buy a upper that will be used just to shoot .22 ammo.  I got a M256 conversion kit and use it on mine, and fire 5.56 out it as well, I've been using it for the last 8 years, and it doesn't hurt the upper.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
sfcret, I have a dedicated upper for my M16.  In my case, I shoot 22s MUCH more than 5.56mm and it's worth it to me. I'll easily shoot at least a brick of ammo during one session.  I bought the dedicated upper so as not to concern myself with the possibility of plugging/leading the gas tube on one of my 5.56mm uppers.  Additionally, I like the idea that my dedicated upper has the proper twist and does not use the chamber insert.  

Dan
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]
A dedicated upper is a great idea. What I don't understand is dedicating a .223/5.56 upper to a conversion unit. If you want a dedicated upper, get one that is barreled for .22lr.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I still don't understand why anyone would want to shoot a .22 round at all.  Ammo's cheap but so is reloading.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#6]
.223 is way overkill for the grey squirrels around here.
Oh, did you mean out of your AR?
Even wolf is more expensive than 1 to 2 cents a round for .22lr.
Besides, 22s are just fun to plink with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I still don't understand why anyone would want to shoot a .22 round at all. Ammo's cheap but so is reloading.
View Quote

Here are some reasons to help you understand:

1) Cost Factor: extremely cheap ($9.00 for a brick of Federal/$13.00 for a brick of Winchester Dynapoint which is subsonic for me)

2) Convenience:  I don't have a range easily accessible to shoot 5.56mm.  I can shoot my suppressed M16 in 22lr on my property and the neighbors never hear a thing.

3) Fun Factor:  To me, and others, it's quite a bit of fun.  It may not be fun to you, but it is to others.

Hope this helps,
Dan
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Well then, I simply asked if it would be beneficial to remove the gas tube on a dedicated .22 upper.  I picked up a cheap complete upper and an even cheaper .22 kit with a 30rd magazine, so why would I pay over $100 more for the same thing?  Plus with the AR upper I still have the option of going back to .223 if I want.
Different strokes for different folks I guess,
-NeedAClip
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#9]
There are no simple answers on this board.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I still don't understand why anyone would want to shoot a .22 round at all.  Ammo's cheap but so is reloading.
View Quote

Because.[:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top