Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:15:44 AM EDT
I came across a Colt SP1 Carbine, purportedly NIB, and 99% at least. Since I overcommitted on purchases this month, I figured I would just sell it locally. However, since it's a preban, the thought occurred to me that it might be better to sell it to someone in a ban state. So, here are my stupid questions.

-What states have "AW" bans where this gun can be sold to someone who needs it more than we Arizonans?
-Is it even desirable, since it's an SP1 with no fence around the mag release, no FA, etc.?
-What's a fair price to ask? It has the box too.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:21:46 AM EDT
I'll try to answer this.
In CT, even though we have an AW ban, dosn't mean we can buy 'Pre-Ban'. The only pre-bans are ones that were grand fathered in during a grace period early on.

If someone in CT has a registered pre-ban, they can only sell it to an FFL whom in turn must sell it out of state.

So although someone in CT may really want to buy your rifle, they can't.

I think I have that right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:00:19 AM EDT
Not true!
CT can own any preban as long as it is not "Colt AR15 or Sporter", Bushmaster, Oly, DPMS, etc are fine as long as they were made before '94.

We "can" own an Ar15 or sporter if it's a registered machine gun and converted to full-auto only.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:23:15 AM EDT
tifosi, you are very wrong and please don't talk without knowing the facts first. In the New England hometown forums is a good breakdown of the CT AWB, read up then go get yourself a pre ban.

As for the SP1, that is a no go for CT since it has AR15 rollmarked on the sides. However a Colt LE6920 would be fine since it's not marked AR15, you'd just have to put a perm attached muzzle break and a pinned stock and shave the bayonet lug. NY'ers can have SP1's though as they aren't banned by name.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:47:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NUcadet07:
tifosi, you are very wrong and please don't talk without knowing the facts first.

Calm down Sparky. I was only trying to help as best I could. From now on, I will leave all discourse to the 'experts'.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:59:59 AM EDT
I'm quite relaxed, just doing as you were, trying to help. People just spout off about the CT AWB because it's very confusing and when they give their opinions, or what they heard at eh gun store they confuse people. He asked, you gave what you thought was the right answer, you were wrong, I corrected you and told you where you could educate yourself since being a CT resident like myself you might want to know the law and how you can own a non neutered rifle legally. And how bout we lay off the name like sparky, k champ

Steve
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:01:25 PM EDT
Btw, i'm hardly an expert, I just read alot and learned before I commented on it. Drop by the hometown forums, come out for a shoot some time, it's always good to have another CT AR15 shooter.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:13:57 PM EDT

And how bout we lay off the name like sparky, k champ hr

No problem Cap'n.have
I was confused by '202(d)' which states all the transfer BS.

Don't want to hijack this thread hobbs, so I'll keep this in 'Legal' section after this...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:22:31 PM EDT
Can't sell it in California.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:52:15 PM EDT
I appreciate the info. I just feel bad that there is even a ban at all in certain states. I'm utterly amazed that CT has such a stringent ban. I was going to visit there for the first time, as my wife is from Stratford. I thought it might be nice to look for a place to retire, but so far the states I'm interested in (CT and CA) have some crappy gun laws.

Anyway, I'll check out that thread at the NEHTF. Thanks a lot guys!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:16:38 PM EDT
LoL, sounds good there Ace I tried reading the statutes and fell asleep myself, the CT hometown forum hashed it out over and over again and the letters from the State police (even they don't agree on what it means all the time) Essentially you put together a decent picture of what it means, if whats named on the list isn't roll marked or banned by type like the Thompson and AK47 types are then you're good to go. Even the type is iffy, there is a letter from the CT state police stating that AK clones in 7.62x39 are banned, but the 5.45 and 308 and 223 versions are fine, hows that for bullshit lol.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:15:59 PM EDT
Well, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but let me see if I can sum this up...

A semi-Auto AK Type is banned, but a full-time auto (with NFA papers) is OK?
Depending on caliber, a semi auto AK may be good to go?
Same goes for Uzi, but maybe not Uzi clones?
Any full-time auto AR-15 is OK (with Class 3) as long as it's not Colt?
Any semi-auto AR-15 (Not Colt) before 1994 can have all the banned features?
No select fire weapon regardless of date or manufactuer is allowed?
A shotgun can have a bayonet and collapsable stock but not an Armalite AR-180?
A fully auto MAC10 is AOK but not a semi auto?

These laws really need to go...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:38:45 PM EDT
Check your IM's hopps.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:01:06 PM EDT
hobbs5624, I think it's a very cool gesture to offer your preban to a member in banned state.

That weapon is good to go in most of NY, minus a few liberal strongholds. For example, they can't be possesed in the five boroughs of NYC. I'm sure someone from the NY crew will give it a good home.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:31:21 PM EDT
It's also good to go in Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:46:55 PM EDT
how much are you asking?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:39:23 PM EDT
For those who IMed, e-mailed, or asked here, let me address one item. I don't want to discuss price here as I don't want to violate and CoC rules. Mods, understand I'm just trying to find out a fair price, and not attempting to sell here.

My problem is this. Though I can look up the blue book price in Fjestad's, that means nothing to me. I'm just trying to find out what they normally go for here. I have a history of selling items at very low prices, since I only buy guns when I get them dirt cheap. With the last pre-ban Colt I owned, I decided to sell the lower and keep the upper. I sold the complete lower with collapsible stock for $350, IIRC. People acted silly over it, and had arguements over who was to get it. I went with the first time stamped "I'll take it", which came via e-mail, not posted on my thread. That caused such a headache for me that I will never sell something that far below market value again.

With all that in mind, I'm hoping someone can tell me a fair price. Things have changed since my original post, and I'm selling some guns tomorrow that will put my bank balance where I like it. Anyway, it will probably be in the EE in the next couple weeks if I decide to unload it. Thanks for all the input everyone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:15:12 PM EDT
SP1 with the box I would say 1200 would be fair. The fact you still have the box adds a bit of value to it being an SP1 and all. SP1's I've seen go on the EE from 800-1100. Best of luck, and good on you. Btw, you have the first legit reason I've yet seen for the heavily inflated pre ban prices.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:54:46 PM EDT

SP1 with the box I would say 1200 would be fair. The fact you still have the box adds a bit of value to it being an SP1 and all. SP1's I've seen go on the EE from 800-1100. Best of luck, and good on you. Btw, you have the first legit reason I've yet seen for the heavily inflated pre ban prices.

Steve

Thanks very much sir. Like I said I'm not sure when and what it will sell for, but I do want it to be reasonable without causing any headaches. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:03:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:
For those who IMed, e-mailed, or asked here, let me address one item. I don't want to discuss price here as I don't want to violate and CoC rules. Mods, understand I'm just trying to find out a fair price, and not attempting to sell here.

My problem is this. Though I can look up the blue book price in Fjestad's, that means nothing to me. I'm just trying to find out what they normally go for here. I have a history of selling items at very low prices, since I only buy guns when I get them dirt cheap. With the last pre-ban Colt I owned, I decided to sell the lower and keep the upper. I sold the complete lower with collapsible stock for $350, IIRC. People acted silly over it, and had arguements over who was to get it. I went with the first time stamped "I'll take it", which came via e-mail, not posted on my thread. That caused such a headache for me that I will never sell something that far below market value again.

With all that in mind, I'm hoping someone can tell me a fair price. Things have changed since my original post, and I'm selling some guns tomorrow that will put my bank balance where I like it. Anyway, it will probably be in the EE in the next couple weeks if I decide to unload it. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Hobbs,

Please IM me with the link when it goes up.

Thank you.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:10:15 AM EDT
Will do Justin.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:13:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:
Will do Justin.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:16:54 AM EDT
You could sell it to somepoor bastard in MA.

The AW ban is still very much alive there :(
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:23:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTDefender:
You could sell it to somepoor bastard in MA.

The AW ban is still very much alive there :(

Or some poor bastard in NY <<<<Hint.
Top Top