Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2004 1:06:10 PM EDT
I'm about to replace my DPMS Southpaw's 20" HBAR with a Bushmaster M4-style (16" including whizzy-dizzy muzzle brake/flash thangie) barrel assembly.  Thinking through the process left me wondering the following:  If I'm changing barrels, do I need to also make changes to, or change out, the recoil buffer and/or spring?  Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Algonquin
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Your recoil buffer and spring are dependent on the buttstock, [b]not[/b] the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, that makes sense.  I'm used to the world of 1911's -- change a spring here, it affects the timing over there, etc.  I just wondered if the weights in the buffer needed to be changed, or if the shorter barrel would produce less back-pressure, etc.  I appreciate the advice.

It's all a moot point, anyway -- I just ordered one of those Ace shorty skeleton stocks from Bushmaster!  First time I've ever seen one -- this thing is gonna look really cool...!

Thanks again for the help!  I'll be following your barrel replacement instructions, too...

Algonquin
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top