Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 4:58:31 PM EST
I need some help. I ordered a RRA upper from ADCO about a month ago. When I got it, I noticed some wear INSIDE the upper. After cleaning it for the first time, I saw that the finish was wiping off with just a little CLP and a rag. Is this normal? I emailed Steve, but I have not heard back, can anyone help? Should I worry about this, or is it no big deal? TIAhttp://home.comcast.net/~finalflash/arwear2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~finalflash/arwear1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:20:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:47:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:25:28 AM EST
Thanks guys. I did hear back from Steve, and said much the same. I will be giving RRA a call today.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:42:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 8:43:00 PM EST by NYPatriot]
MrPickles, are you sure you just used CLP???

I know you might not want to admit it in a public forum, but I suspect that you used Hoppes #9 or a similar bore solvent when cleaning the inside of your upper.

Ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:04:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 4:08:54 PM EST by mrPickles]
I won't ask if you don't tellHoppes
Just to give a heads-up, I did reach RRA, and they looked at the pics. They had me RMA the upper back to them right away. I will be sure to post what happens here for prosperity
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:40:27 PM EST
Damn, I've used carbuerator cleaner on mine and never had that happen! If that's the aluminum finish I'm seeing, there is a big problem. Make sure your carrier does'nt have issues either, that might be scraping the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:01:42 PM EST
asltrfl, you and I think alike. The first thing I checked was the bolt carrier. I thought maybe that it was out of spec and rubbing/hitting inside the upper. No luck, the carrier is pristine. I would have to go with Tweak and Shadowblade, it's faulty anodizing. I'm not pissed about it, it can happen, but I want RRA to make it right. I will keep everyone posted on how this turns out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:33:03 PM EST
Someone care to elaborate on Hoppe's #9 and anodizing?
Is there a bad chemical reaction there?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:31:35 AM EST
I kind of surprised that ADCO did not make good on an exchange and then they return the upper to RRA. Yeah its not the dealer's fault, but I think he should stand in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:59:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By mrPickles:
Thanks guys. I did hear back from Steve, and said much the same. I will be giving RRA a call today.

Hi,
I just posted this same finish question yesterday!
From your pics, it's exactly what my RRA Upper looks like. I admit, I use MPro-7, but it has never harmed my Bushmaster in any way. Crap, now I have to take pics, and call RRA??
I got mine from RB Precision.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:30:51 AM EST
I just got my RRA upper from ADCO. What should I rub on it to see if I have this problem? I hate to install it, then a week later have to uninstall it because the finish is done improperly?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:04:41 AM EST
Probably should start with CLP only.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:30:48 PM EST
Leisure_Shoot, the anodized finish of most ARs' is sealed with a Nickel Acetate film.

Hoppes #9 & other similar bore solvents are not to be used on Nickel-plated firearms because the solvents can discolor (and in the case of a Nickel Acetate film) dissolve the Nickel present.

A while back, I found this out the hard way, and my upper looked EXACTLY like mrPickles when I was through with it.

I'm not saying mrPickles is fibbing, but...
Top Top