Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/26/2005 9:27:51 AM EDT
OK, I got one of these for Christmas for my 458 SOCOM. It came with what looks like a big plastic plug in addition to the buffer. What is this and where does it go? (the other end of the buffer spring?)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:35:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 9:42:03 AM EDT by twl]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:40:08 AM EDT
Thanks! It will be going into a rfile length buffer tube.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:37:50 PM EDT
search buffer and you will find the big discussion thread on the mgi buffer.

but yeah, basically sums it up in twl post
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:17:01 PM EDT
Installed my new recoil-reducing buffer and just got back from the range. My shoulder is killing me after 50 rounds as usual. I didn't take the original buffer with me for a side-by-side comparison, but I don't think I would've noticed a difference. This thing (.458 SOCOM) still kicks pretty hard! I can't even imagine shooting one full-auto.

Yikes! Does anyone that has this buffer in a bigbore think it really works?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:41:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bigsapper:
Installed my new recoil-reducing buffer and just got back from the range. My shoulder is killing me after 50 rounds as usual. I didn't take the original buffer with me for a side-by-side comparison, but I don't think I would've noticed a difference. This thing (.458 SOCOM) still kicks pretty hard! I can't even imagine shooting one full-auto.

Yikes! Does anyone that has this buffer in a bigbore think it really works?

Check your setup
I put things in worng and said the MGI buffer was a POS. Then went back through and made sure things were right, seemed to notice a reduction. Not a dramatic down to 223 drop, but certainly a reduction.
Do you reload?
I have noticed that a .5 grain change in my 405's made a significant difference in recoil.
Just roll your own a little lighter

Happy shooting
Chris
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:02:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uafgrad:
Check your setup
I put things in worng and said the MGI buffer was a POS. Then went back through and made sure things were right, seemed to notice a reduction. Not a dramatic down to 223 drop, but certainly a reduction.
Do you reload?
I have noticed that a .5 grain change in my 405's made a significant difference in recoil.
Just roll your own a little lighter

Happy shooting
Chris

Standard A2 stock and buffer. Installed the MGI buffer as described by twl and the thread indicated by eklikwhoa.

I don't reload (yet). Still getting the equipment together. I got a Lee Hand Press for Christmas. I'm shooting the 300gr Corbon factory loads. I did notice that a few of the primers had tiny holes pierced through them within the indentation created by the firing pin.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:00:19 PM EDT
Bigsapper - Yikes! Does anyone that has this buffer in a bigbore think it really works?

I don’t have a buffer, but I’ve wondered about this too. I bought a good recoil pad instead and can really feel a difference in perceived recoil.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:35:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:31:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 6:32:25 AM EDT by bigsapper]

Originally Posted By twl:
... The RRB is not a miracle, ...

Dang, that's what I was looking for.

Thanks for the followup.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:10:50 PM EDT
twl
I believe your explanation was very good. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:55:01 PM EDT
I have one in mine and think it makes a difference. I don't think you should expectthat it will take the recoil away. To me it seems to change the recoil impulse and it feels like less recoil to me.

On a side note...
[size=6]ANY OF YOU GUYS WHO SHOOT 458 AND DONT RELOAD, I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN BUYING YOUR ONCE FIRED BRASS
Chris
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:51:21 PM EDT
i have one in my beowulf and notice a good amount of recoil reduction.

try shooting it standing up so that your body braces the rifle better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
i have one in my beowulf and notice a good amount of recoil reduction.
try shooting it standing up so that your body braces the rifle better.

Actually I was wondering that. Having to shoot off the bench may negate the effects of the buffer. I'll try it when I go out with the Texas crew to Tom Bean this weekend. Oh, wait, not going out there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:22:37 PM EDT
I didn't mention it before, but during the range session in question I was having a lot of failure to feeds where the bolt would refuse to fully seat. Especially picking up a round from a fresh mag. All USGI mags; the only mag the worked semi-reliably was a Colt 9-rounder. I just installed a new Wolff extra power spring and now all my mags will allow the bolt to fully seat without a problem.

I'm wondering if a weak buffer spring is the root of the issue I'm experiencing?
I'm curious as to how many that run the MGI buffer also use an "extra power" buffer spring?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 2:55:34 PM EDT by twl]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:34:33 PM EDT
Big,

My experience with the MGI buffer in my 458 mirrors Toms post. I still get thumped pretty good on my shoulder, but my cheek is no longer taking a beating. It is also faster on the follow-ups. The change is most noticable offhand. I think that it would take a Caldwell Lead Sled to tame the 458 or 50 from the bench. And I am running the stock spring that came with Vltor Clubfoot stock.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:06:33 AM EDT
i use the mgi rrb and the mgi 2x spring in my beowulf.

i a little difference shooting bench but standing there is a noticable reduction in felt recoil.
Top Top