Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 9:10:37 AM EDT

I was flipping through the Guns & Ammo Surefire Special Edition and I saw a PRI, at least it looked like one, flip-up front sight that had a dial to adjust the post height.  

Was it a PRI and how much does one cost?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It was the early model, the dial adjust the front post very nicely and conveniently.  Mr Dunlap @ PRI had some problem with the guy holding the patent so he just change the design and stick with the traditional way to adjust the front post.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If I am not mistaken I believe that was a first generation PRI and they didnt have the feature to keep them from getting broken when the sight was knocked down. Also did not ake standard AR front sights.  Came out of adjustment easily and was replaced.  Now this is all off the top of my head and I could be wrong about any or all of the info. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for the info guys!

It looked kind of neat, oh well...

BTW, if you have one how do like the PRI flip ups.  How's the sight picture with the full circle post guard?  I was wondering if it got to cluttered?

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
SMG & DevL both got it right. The sight itself is a small work of art & looks to be a machined-from-billet affair. My only (small) complaint is that it isn't spring-loaded, but I have heard that the heat generated via the integral gas block would eventually re-temper & weaken a spring's tension. Still, KAC has come out w/ a new front sight that's spring-loaded. Good luck trying to get one. Compared to the PRI, it looks a little bulky & isn't hooded (a feature I prefer).

Actually, I'd like to see/read comparison test of the relative performance & features of both.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Mr Dunlap @ PRI had some problem with the guy holding the patent so he just change the design and stick with the traditional way to adjust the front post.
View Quote

This is the exact reason: copyright infringement.

In addition, the end users do not like the 2-bolt version because it cannot withstand the abuse on the field. Now it is going back to the 4-bolt original version for more rigidity.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top