Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2002 10:31:43 AM EDT
I'm fairly new to the AR family so excuse this if it's a stupid concern but I have a far-15 Oly. I just finally got out to shoot it and to get the groups even close to center, my windage is cranked ALLLLL the way left. Seems like this shouldn't be that bad. It was bought brand new and was way off out of the box. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
bushmaster had problem awhile back with that also. Seems like i recall them saying the barrell was misindexed. I'd send it in for repair.

mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
sPOKE WITH tOM AT oLY TODAY. Very polite and curtious. On it's way back to them. I'll drop a post about return time etc. Lets hope it's good for their sake. :-)
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a similar problem with one of mine... had to crank it almost all the way to the left. Once I got it "dialed in" it has been very accurate.

I would be interested to know what you find out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent my BM off last tuesday and it was the same problem I told them i read it was ocer torqued and indexed wrong. Which ever it is,I hope it gets fixed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a similar problem with one of mine... had to crank it almost all the way to the left. Once I got it "dialed in" it has been very accurate.

I would be interested to know what you find out.

I'm an Oly Dealer and they actually had a few barrels ship out with the front sight slightly out of wack which caused the windage to be way off.  Give Oly a call, and they'll get you taken care of.  I'm working one out for a customer of mine and am expecting the upper back this coming week.

Olympic Arms - 800-228-3471
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Problem with uppers w/ your sight problem is  that when the front sight A frame/base is fitted to the barrel, they use those drift pins and the barrel is relieved where the pins go through and hold the sight base in place and it is not always in "zero" alignment with the rear sight set to mechanical zero windage wise.  Most match prepared AR15 Serv. Rifles will have a set screw(2) per side on the front sight  base so you can establish mechanical zero  on the  rear  sight and  line  up  the front sight so you have equal adjustment both left and right on your rear sight.  I am not sure how the mfg. will correct such a problem using the drift pin method unless they use a new barrel and carefully check the line up of the front sight w/ the rear sight centered??  I am sure they can repair to your satisfaction.  Good  luck
Mountaineer
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Minewas off pretty good when i had sights on it. I figured it would be resolved when i had put gas block and flip up front sight and i had also put a arms#40 on it. My sights were on straight as possible andi still had to move sight all the way over to the left. I adjusted front sight but it did not effect it much. To get a rear sight close to center and to move front sight would be canted badley. I tried different things and nothing worked. I hope they fix it if they can tell what wrong.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I sent my BM off last tuesday and it was the same problem I told them i read it was ocer torqued and indexed wrong. Which ever it is,I hope it gets fixed.

Christ, I cannot believe they are still having this same problem after three years. Did you buy it directly from Bushmaster?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top