Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 3:41:56 PM EDT
What kind of trigger does LEO use in their DUTY carbine?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a standard trigger in my M4 but that will soon change. I really fell in love with the CMC two stage and as I get some coin saved up I'll put one in my M4.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They use what ever floats their boats... Manufacturers such as RRA install the National Match 2-stage trigger in their Government Model AR-15... COLT and Bushmaster use the standard trigger in their LEO AR-15...

Individual Law Enforcement Officers can choose to install what ever type trigger they feel suites their needs... Its all in personal preference...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
sweet, just what I wanted to hear
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost every military and LE weapon uses a single stage trigger, its what is in my duty weapon, and in the duty weapon of just about every real cop I know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My guess was standard more of an effort to pull the trigger giving the LEO feedback (ie i'm pulling the trigger!)in a stressed environment also didn't NY force the LEO to go to a heavy pull on the glocks?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Why are you guessing on a weapons poll?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Almost every military and LE weapon uses a single stage trigger, its what is in my duty weapon, and in the duty weapon of just about every real cop I know.

Real cop? Oh my, I guess the police officers I know that use RRA 2-stage and JARD triggers are imposter's Damn, Maybe I should turn them in for impersonating police officers
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you a cop?  The web is filled with people who post with less than credible info, I'm posting from experience.  

If you have a problem with my post, verify your issue, my comment stands.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ditto. My working rifles are single stage.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They use what ever floats their boats... Manufacturers such as RRA install the National Match 2-stage trigger in their Government Model AR-15... COLT and Bushmaster use the standard trigger in their LEO AR-15...

Individual Law Enforcement Officers can choose to install what ever type trigger they feel suites their needs... Its all in personal preference...

I'll go ahead and comment on this before people read it and think its true.

There are very few agencies that permit their officers to use "what ever floats their boats".  Departments set up policies that cover what officers are allowed to do, and what modifications that they are allowed to make.  Its not anywhere near as simplist as saying "Its all in personal preference".

If nothing else, I strongly suggest officers check with their Range Sgt and see what will or won't float.  

The above quoted comment suggests information which is flat out wrong.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll go ahead and comment on this before people read it and think its true.

There are very few agencies that permit their officers to use "what ever floats their boats".  Departments set up policies that cover what officers are allowed to do, and what modifications that they are allowed to make.  Its not anywhere near as simplist as saying "Its all in personal preference".

If nothing else, I strongly suggest officers check with their Range Sgt and see what will or won't float.  

The above quoted comment suggests information which is flat out wrong.  

And even if the weapon is personally owned, in a most cases, the factory action cannot be tampered with in any way. Most agencies want a heavier pull not a lighter one, and anything that makes the gun "easier" to fire may be seen as a liability issue.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And even if the weapon is personally owned, in a most cases, the factory action cannot be tampered with in any way. Most agencies want a heavier pull not a lighter one, and anything that makes the gun "easier" to fire may be seen as a liability issue.

And I agree... Many do, but not all police departments have policies that require that they only use factory built AR-15's... There are many police officers that have factory rifles that are equipped with factory 2-stage triggers...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Are you a cop?  The web is filled with people who post with less than credible info, I'm posting from experience.  

Nope, not a cop... But I do personally know quite a few
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And even if the weapon is personally owned, in a most some cases, the factory action cannot be tampered with in any way. Most agencies want a heavier pull not a lighter one, and anything that makes the gun "easier" to fire may be seen as a liability issue.

Thats how it should be quoted...

And you are saying that RRA is selling liability issues to local, state and federal agencies?...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I have a problem with your post... You down right insulted a lot of police officers with your "real cop" comment... That's my problem...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Stickman has incredible experience, yet he (like most of us) is wrong sometimes.  I love reading threads where he chimes in, because it's sure to have a lot of excellent information or insightful perspective on issues related to the shooting (and especially the law enforcement) community.

I am a REAL police officer, and I use a RRA 2-stage trigger, the SAME one the DEA uses.

The funny thing is, I voted "stock single-stage" because I forget it isn't stock!  It is a SOLID trigger, and VERY acceptable for an officer's rifle.  I don't think of it in the same way I view most other aftermarket triggers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
jwise,

I don't doubt you in the least.  My comments about real cops are made to point out there are plenty of people with no idea what they are talking about who post in these threads, and while theshootersden seems to enjoy making comments, I don't mean him/ her.

There are officers who use a 2 stage trigger, which is why I phrased my first answer the way I did.  Those of you who do are a minority, not that it is always a bad thing, but I don't think anyone would say that the majority of us are using anything other than a stock FCG.  

I must admit, I played around with an LMT 2 stage today that I found quite nice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah, I have a problem with your post... You down right insulted a lot of police officers with your "real cop" comment... That's my problem...

No, I called you on being wrong,  if there is an officer who feels insulted by my comments, let them come forward.  Your hurt feelings for them doesn't cut it.  

You made a claim on something you know nothing about.  If you have studied policies of departments, feel free to correct me.  The info you have given on AR15ss that I have seen seems credible, but your knowledge of departments, police training, policies and liabilty obviously isn't an area where you shine.  You are out of your element.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Why does it seem to me that you are speaking for all police officers when you actually are only speaking for your self ? I may not be the expert in the law enforcement field, but I personally know my local police departments shooting instructor and Ive had many conversations with him about certifications and other issues relating to this topic... It is a fact that out of my 3 surrounding departments, many officers have FCG's other than standard, and it isn't against their departments policies... I'm not saying it isn't different where you are, but I am saying it is different here...

Ive said my peace and don't want to ruin the thread with all this "I know more than you crap" so I'll bow out gracefully... This will be my last post so carry on...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a REAL cop and I prefer a lighter trigger on my M4. Our firearms instuctors prefer a match trigger. All but one WERE observers/ snipers on our team so maybe  their experience with the lighter trigger on the 700 may has something to do with it.  Besides we are trained to keep our finger off of the trigger until we are ready to fire. I think this is the policy of most agencies, if it is not then it should be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I would venture to say that MOST police officers who use rifles are in their department's SWAT team.  Those rifles are probably M16s, and therefore department owned.  I'm SURE their M16s have stock FCGs!  

All my other ARs have stock single-stage triggers.  And since my patrol rifle actually CAME with the RRA 2-stage already installed, I guess it's STOCK, too!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#22]
My rifle  is personally owned and carried on duty. My agency certainly does not let me float any boats.

I also happen to be the armorer for my agency in this area and once a year everybody has all personally owned and department issued weapons inspected, without advance notice. This is done to prevent "boat floating" activities.

I doubt any reputable agency or organization is willing to let the troops use "whatever". Liability is too great.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Marines and Federal LE, stock single stage trigger for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And even if the weapon is personally owned, in a most some cases, the factory action cannot be tampered with in any way. Most agencies want a heavier pull not a lighter one, and anything that makes the gun "easier" to fire may be seen as a liability issue.

Thats how it should be quoted...

And you are saying that RRA is selling liability issues to local, state and federal agencies?...

No I said nothing about RRA. If RRA supplies a two stage trigger from the factory, then it is a factory action. What I am saying, is most departments require a factory action to be left as is. That means that whatever came in the gun, stays in the gun, and no changes can be made. In our area that would even include putting a lighter connector in a Glock.

The liability issue would be one determined in court. If you shot someone with your rifle, and in anyway shape or form it could have been construed as a "bad shoot," then everything about that rifle would be called into question. And making the trigger easier to pull, could be an aggrivating factor, since most untrained people, (people who sit on a jury,) would not understand why you would want a gun that was "easier" to shoot. To them this could indicate that you wanted to shoot someone and I'm sure it would be misrepresented as a "hair trigger." (I've seen that happen with the lighter connetor in a Glock.)

Once again, the liability would be on the officer who made changes to a factory action, not a company who supplied the action.

I did not say that real cops don't use them. I answered the original question. I use a single stage, and so does everyone I know. Do real cops use other thngs? Yes. Do I? No.

Sorry for the confusion.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:20:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Thank god my RRA came with the trigger that it has because my Sarge wouldnt be keen on me having the internals of my AR changed around.  I am in a dept. that has very little to say in our SOPs about our duty rifles.  Kinda good, cuz I have added a lot of stuff to mine without a hassle.  If you show up to quals with it and pass than you have to pretty much leave it that way until next time.  The local Sheriffs office is the opposite.  If they dont give you a bushmaster than you arent carrying anything and you cannot screw with their issued bushy at all, no light either.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top