Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2003 3:11:00 PM EDT
I have Bushy with an A2 upper. I have just purchased a Simmons 42mm Red Dot to put on it with the see through mount. I know the ideal application is to have a flat upper but....

So, with what I have, where is the ideal place to put this scope. Toward the back, middle or all the way to the front. I have moved it from the back to the middle and really can't tell much difference in the field of view.

Thanks,,,,again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert...but I would assume that you would want it somewhere towards the middle-front of the mount.  To put it too far back to me would make it more of a scope and not effective for open eyes sighting.  But to put it too far forward would lessen the field of view and create a "tunnel effect" I would think.  Those are just my ideas.  If anyone says I am wrong I will believe 'em  [:)]

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The best setup I have found so far is the ARMS #39A2.  I have one mounted on my Bushy A2 and a 30mm red dot one slot from the front.  The #39 allows you to lower the optic and cowitness the iron sights.  I do not know how the 42mm unit will work, I believe the height from the mount to the height of the front sight is 1.5 inches.  On my A2 the red dot sits right on the tip of the front sight.  The other advantage of the optic low and out front is it is less likely to sustain damage during use.

Field of view with a red dot is NOT an issue.  The proper method of using one is to keep BOTH eyes open.  The target is seen with both eyes but the dot is only seen by one.  Once you try this it becomes very natural.  Also, keep away from the cheaper chineese copies of the #39, they only have one mounting screw and will not hold a zero.  There are several people on EE and the Industry board (Pete from Legal Transfers) who can get you set up with one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the replies. I believe I'll find me a gooseneck ASAP. Makes since to be able to use the scope to co-witness. Didn't think about that when I bought the mount. Again, this board has come through for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know much about co-witnessing. Would it cause problems when you use the 8/3 to shoot at longer ranges ? I guess you could just leave the red dot off?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#6]
JSI,

I think that is what they are talking about when they say, "in case you needed to use your iron sights." I have seen pictures of this application. The red dot is not an issue when using the iron sights. Yes, you would leave the red dot off. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, hell I act like I know what I'm talking about and I'm the one that asked the question. [:P]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Its not an Ideal spot for a red dot. With a low cheek weld you loose 1/3 of your perif. vision.. red dots are design to maintain that vision. Mounting High helps you maintain that visual performance..I fully disagree with any other comments about mounting it low..its just no the case.....If you or anybody else doesnt beleive then mount it high and mount it low andtry to clear a room or do CQB with it...you will notice a difference right of way. The ONLY draw back is that your POI is off depending upon your zero yardage.......

Please try it before you dimiss the idea of carry handle mounting
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
ARMS #39, 22m68 scope mount... I like this set-up.
[img]http://home.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/ar15.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top