Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 4:57:21 PM EDT
I understand that the MIAD pistol grip by Magpul has various inserts to customize the size/feel of the grip.

My question is this; with the inserts being individual pieces do you worry about them possibly breaking?

How do you think the grip/inserts would hold up if dropped from 10 feet?  (attached to a AR of course)

I am interested in checking the grips out,  but my main concern is that the grip has more pieces and more pieces mean more things that I can break.   (I break stuff easy )

It seems like if you really beat the shit out of the grip the inserts could break or become loose.  I've looked at Magpuls pictures of it in the Industry forum and the inserts look awfully thin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
you are not going to break any part of the MIAD from a 10ft drop.  It is extremely solid.  I went from the A2 to the TD and very recently to the MIAD and it is far and away the best grip I have ever used.  Don't worry you are not going to break it
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The MIAD is a very structured grip, however I’m almost certain if dropped from 10 feet wile attached to an AR it would break for sure, if your looking for a strong grip that can take tons of abuse the MIAD may not be the best choice IMO
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My M16 will not fall more than about 4 feet, and only if I trip over myself. Honestly, for most useage, I cannot see it breaking. It is very tough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The MIAD is a very well built grip.

The front strap slips off upward so it is captured when the grip is bolted in place. That coupled with the fact that it fits really tight in the first place, and you shouldn't have any problems.

The rear back strap is held on by a plastic tab (for lack of a better term) and also fits very tightly.

I usually err on the side of caution and go with the thing that has fewer parts, but the MIAD is VERY sturdy and I have complete faith that mine will stand up to anything I'll be able to throw at it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a MIAD, and it feels solid enough to me.  If you ever broke it, I bet Magpul would send you a replacement.  They seem pretty good about that kind of stuff.

If you're concerned about it breaking, keep a backup A2 grip in your pack/range bag. h.gif
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The MIAD is solid and is no more prone to breaking than a standard A2 pistol grip, probably less so.  With that said, I do find the back and front straps extremely difficult to remove, and my battery compartment cap requires a screwdriver to get it loose and come off.  I suppose tight as hell is better than loose though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently purchased a MIAD grip after breaking an ERGO grip.  The MIAD is much sturdier,  and I will buy another in the future.  As said above I cannot see this thing breaking with anything I will do to it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
If you break the MIAD, you might want to go over your entire weapon. There's bound to be something important broken or dented.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a MIAD, and it feels solid enough to me.  If you ever broke it, I bet Magpul would send you a replacement.  They seem pretty good about that kind of stuff.

If you're concerned about it breaking, keep a backup A2 grip in your pack/range bag.

I'm not concerned about Magpul's customer service,  I know their reputation.  I'm concerned about the possibility that it may break at the worst time and being shit out of luck.  Carrying extra grips is not an option.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a miad I think it would make it a 10 foot drop test. The owner told me if you can break it he will send you a new one in the mail. I love my grip . hell it is make as well as my glocks and I have drop them 6 foot. he told me that he had one guy break one and it was put in a vise and the guy was changing barrels on his ar.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=253934
Yep, the MIAD broke. Then again, so did the buffer tube. Which is the real problem?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
you will break the Ar15 or m16 in combat before you break the grip.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have not had a chance to put mine through any trials yet as it is currently on a stripped upper but I did manage to snap off the little lever that hols the backstrap on at the base.  It was my fault because I pushed it too far thinking it was the lever to remove the base cap so I won't be asking Magpul for a free replacement.  The backstrap is also pinned on so it's not going anywhere.

The polymer they use does seem like it might be a bit on the brittle side compared to other products but not enough so that it is a concern to me.  My personal rifles don't see any "hard" use and I am crazy about the lower hand position with the MIAD.  I like mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yep, the MIAD broke. Then again, so did the buffer tube. Which is the real problem?

nothing

just a post i remembered from a while back--always good to have more info (whether good or bad) than not
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the MIAD full kit on a carbine with the trigger guard option and full palm swell backstrap. The backstrap is held on by friction fit, a plastic locking tab and a metal rollpin. The front trigger guard piece is held on by friction fit, locking indents, a screw and a rollpin (drilled myself). I don't think any other grip would stand up to abuse any better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
1.  Anything has a possibility of breaking, and that includes your standard pistol grip.  

2.  More and more pieces does not mean it is more prone to breaking.  It is the quality of the part, not the amount of them.

3.  Troops and cops are using them with positive feedback, if you were in the service, that should explain it pretty well.

I would suggest you find one and try it out, I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that it is thin.

More pieces means more pieces that can break.  I thought that the pictures showed the inserts as thin idividual pieces,  I have never handled one and I'd rather ask other peoples opinions on them before buying one.

After all it's just a pistol grip,  and my basic question should have been:  To what extent is the MIAD breakable?

Thanks for the links Alpha.  And thanks for the replies so far,  you guys are very helpful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:
1.  Anything has a possibility of breaking, and that includes your standard pistol grip.  

2.  More and more pieces does not mean it is more prone to breaking.  It is the quality of the part, not the amount of them.

3.  Troops and cops are using them with positive feedback, if you were in the service, that should explain it pretty well.

I would suggest you find one and try it out, I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that it is thin.[/quote}

More pieces means more pieces that can break.  I thought that the pictures showed the inserts as thin idividual pieces,  I have never handled one and I'd rather ask other peoples opinions on them before buying one.

After all it's just a pistol grip,  and my basic question should have been:  To what extent is the MIAD breakable?

Thanks for the links Alpha.  And thanks for the replies so far,  you guys are very helpful.

sure thing....

dont get me wrong, i have NOT tried it or have put it though 'torture' tests (i am comfortable w/ my Tango downs and A2s and Hogues as is)
i'm sure that (like all of Magpul's EXCELLENT products) its a great grip and that its comparable in durability as any of the other AR grips and will hold up well in normal use
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nothing

just a post i remembered from a while back--always good to have more info (whether good or bad) than not

I didn't see your post when I posted that link.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy one and give it a go. I think you're dwelling on the multiple parts issue too much. When the MIAD is assembled it might as well be one piece.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I would not say that any of the MIAD grip pieces are overly thin.  All mating pieces are sufficiently thick in my opinion. The back strap also comes with a roll pin to secure it to the main body.  It all feels very solid and strong.  Magpuls custy svc is very weel regarded here.  Try one and if you don't like it, I beileve they will serve you right.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I seem to remember a thread by stickman where his big dog decided to use a MAID as a chew toy.  Other than some minor bite marks, it seemed just fine. I was thinking the way you did a little till I saw the photos. made a believer out of me...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#25]
MIAD rocks you will be very satisfied
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#26]
The moment you feel the material used for the grip you will know instantly that it will not break easily. It will not break individually, and it certainly will not break when put together. It has a tight solid fit!

Money well spent.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#27]
The only thing that I have managed to break with the maid was the locking tab on the palm insert. But It came with 3 inserts so I just switched to a smaller size and all is good. I would recomend it even though that part broke.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nothing

I didn't see your post when I posted that link.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

no problem/worries....i guess i should have stated directly up front that i was NOT trying to bash the MIAD grips--just another point of view already given
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#29]
If you look, you'll see that the backstrap on my pre-production MIAD is intact.  In fact, if I would have had another body, I could have used it in it.  The insert was perfectly fine.  I have also heard that the production MIADs use a different less brittle plastic, so my results may not be your results.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top