Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 9:19:32 PM EDT
I recently visited a very large gun shop in Neveda that had a wide a selection of gear, including night vision. There was a Generation 3 PVS-14 that the guy stated was 99% and had no blems. I looked through it and, indeed, NO BLEMS. He stated that he comes across these every once in awhile because he "knows" some people. The going price was, IIRC, about $3030. He stated that he had all the paperwork and such. Sooo, how can I tell if this is a NEW unit as he stated? And what do you guys thing about the price? I guess I'm more worried about being ripped off 'cuz I don't know jack about these things. Oh, by the way, he also had had IR laser for $1200. It was small and squarish.  Can anyone guess as what it coulda been? And can someone post a PICTURE?  NEED FEEDBACK ASAP on any of the above.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:53:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Does he have the tube data sheet?It would have all the info , such as date of manufactor, and tube specs.
As for the IR laser, could you estimate the size?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Which IR did it look like?
$900-$1200 seems to fall in the PAQ-4 price range.

DBAL

PAQ-4C

PEQ-2A
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely DBAL.  Thanks for the pic.  What do you think of the price?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does he have the tube data sheet?It would have all the info , such as date of manufactor, and tube specs.
As for the IR laser, could you estimate the size?

He stated that he had the data sheet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Definitely DBAL.  Thanks for the pic.  What do you think of the price?

A real LD DBAL retails for something like $1,600-$1,700 ($1,731 retail, with ARMS throw lever).
There are IR clones on the market that go for $400-$600. (or 3,238 - 5,954 Chinese Yuan )

If the tape switch doesn't require a 90 degree turn to lock in place, it's probably a clone.

Over all, it sounds like a good deal (check out the IR before you buy...you'll need NVGs)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I'll just call the guy and ask what brand the IR was.  But whatever it was, it was fairly small.  I'll be happy just buying the damn PVS-14.  I let the MUM unit that IPSC_GUY was selling for about 2K go by, which I regret, so I don't think I can let this PVS-14 also slip by.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I recently visited a very large gun shop in Neveda that had a wide a selection of gear, including night vision. There was a Generation 3 PVS-14 that the guy stated was 99% and had no blems. I looked through it and, indeed, NO BLEMS. He stated that he comes across these every once in awhile because he "knows" some people. The going price was, IIRC, about $3030. He stated that he had all the paperwork and such. Sooo, how can I tell if this is a NEW unit as he stated? And what do you guys thing about the price? I guess I'm more worried about being ripped off 'cuz I don't know jack about these things. Oh, by the way, he also had had IR laser for $1200. It was small and squarish.  Can anyone guess as what it coulda been? And can someone post a PICTURE?  NEED FEEDBACK ASAP on any of the above.  

Hi, sorry I just got in and read your post...I can comment on the 14...As some others stated, see if indeed it comes with a data sheet.  The GOOD news is, seeing IS believing and it seems you looked through a good tube on the surface.  Did you take the unit in a very dark area with the cap off to check the siignal to noise and the gain? In a very dark area, you should see a bit of white sparkles.  The better the sig to noise, the less noise you will see. Its hard to judge though if you haven't looked through many NVD's. As for the gain, is the image bright? Also might be hard to judge if you haven;t looked at a few.  Also, check the side plate on the unit to be sure it says ITT.  Also please inquire if it comes with a warranty.  All new ITT units comes with at least a 1 year warranty.  I feel $3030 is a good price if the unit is in this good condition.  Hope this helps.  

Edited:  I see it had a data sheet.  Check the signal to noise ratio..Any thing over 27 is very good, 29 is awesome.  Also check the photo response. Anything over 23 is also good.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, Victor.  Will check the data sheet and give the unit another once over, if it's still available.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top