Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2003 10:19:56 AM EDT
Have you _EVER_ had a problem with your FIRSH coming loose or not retaining zero in the case of having optics mounted on it?

If so, what were the circumstances behind the movement of the rail?

Please chime in even if you haven't had any problems.  It would also be helpful to know if you mounted it the "standard" way or also used other means like threadlockers, epoxies, etc.

Thank you all in advance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two rifles with FIRSH systems and have had no problems with either.  One has a pistol grip on it, the other an EoTech with no loss of zero problems.  The one with the eotech gets tossed around alot too and zero has never changed on me.  Another friend of mine has one on his patrol rifle as well with a red dot(think aimpoint but can't remember) and he has had no problems that I know of.  Hope this helps.

Max
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Installed on a friend's rifle.. used a bit of red loctite on the hex head bolt at the rear of the tube; nary a problem with zeroing or movement.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No problems here....
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
No problems with either of mine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a couple of FIRSH rails.
Initially it was a little loose, until I realized it was my fault.
At first I tighted both retaining bolts and thought I was finished.
When it felt a little loose (after a while), I went back to retighten.
Once I tighted one of the retaining bolts, then the other, then went back and forth until neither would move.  Each time I tightend one of the bolts I noticed the other had another quarter turn left in it.--- back and forth, than back and forth, etc.
It now works great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Blue Loctite will solve your problem and you will be happy.

If you need to loosen the screw, with a little muscle it will break the Loctite and you can unscrew.

Care to share your problem?  Maybe we can be of more help.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#7]
No problems, I don't own a FIRSH.

I do want to add a foregrip & light in the near future.  In the more distant future I plan to add optics, lasers, etc.

None of the systems available fit MY ideal handguard/rail system.  The URX sounds like my ideal system, but who knows when that will be available (probably months) or how much it will cost.

So in the mean time I am trying to find a cost-effective solution while waiting for my ideal system.  The ARMS and KAC systems are too expensive for a rail system I plan to replace in a matter of months.

I have been considering either adding a rail to my CAR handguards or getting one of the available systems.  Obviously adding the rail can be flimsy, is not free-floated, and unsuitable for optics.  Of the ARMS and KAC systems, I really like the KAC FF RAS best.

The SAMCO systems are often recommended, but they don't free float the barrel and the rails are a different height from the upper.  That's all it took to take it out of my running, don't care what other defficiencies or advantages it has.

Daniel Defense.. well, I'm just not interested.  It's late and I can't remember what I didn't like about them, but I know they are not for me.  I think they're probably expensive too.

Now come to the FIRSH.  It's cheaper than everything except the flimsy add on rail and even then you're not paying hardly anything more considering what you're getting.  It's pretty darn light too.

The ONLY question and concern I can seem to find regarding the FIRSH is how well is it retained on the upper.  Many have voiced concerns about this.  I was pretty confident that it retained just fine.. properly torqured barrel nuts don't move easily and the addition of a clamp (which some say can slip).. well that's just gravy.

If my concerns regarding movement of the FIRSH are unfounded, I really don't see any reason why the KAC FF RAS is all that much better.  And no, I am not degrading KAC.  The KAC FF RAS has military adoption, and we all know it is solid.  KAC is a stand up company that makes top quality products.  I guess I'm just saying that if indeed the FIRSH retains properly, it would seem the FIRSH is a handguard system on-par or close to the KAC FF RAS at about 1/3 the cost.

Am I ignorant as to other issues regarding the FIRSH?  Am I overlooking other superiorities of the KAC FF RAS system (not that I could afford it anyway)?

Off to bed, it's late and I'm probably talking out of my ass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#8]
It's like comparing CRKT to Benchmade.  I actually like my CRKT knives better than my two Benchmades.  Probably part of it is that the CRKT cost me almost half BUT no one can deny that CRKT makes a damn fine knife.  Oly rail is the cheaper, but just as well built system, where KAC is the name.  YMMV but I've had great success with FIRSH and if taking off the front site base is no biggy to you, than the FIRSH would probably be perfect.  I would love to put a KAC rail on one of my rifles but cost prohibits it.  FIRSH bailed me out getting me out the door at under $100.  Best of luck.

Max
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My brother and I took a Stubby Firsh and :

drilled 8 3/16in holes in the rear of the threaded part of the Firsh

Mounted the nut

doped it up with JB WELD

assembled it

tightened the little locking device

ligned up the rails with an ACOG mounted to the upper and firsh

waited 24 hours and took off the ACOG and puttied up what was left of the holes that weren't filled and waited 12 hours

then we ground the JB flat to the Firsh Then we took a small circular high speed steel cutting disk and modded the rails for KAC pannels and and Moly coated it with Brownells Moly bake on black.

Then we mounted accessories and he had a great setup for about $80 (more firm than the SIR.)

But it was pirmanent (not a big deal as it was on a 9mm upper) 9mm barrels are hard to burn out.

I was impressed his gun was really nice.

[b]Oh- and by the way the reason for all of that was that the stubby firsh ends up 1/2inch from the front sight post of a 7.5in upper. and we didn't like that (this allowed it to be more firm and eliminated the gap between the firsh and the front post. It looked light years better.[/b]

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the LC FIRSH from BUDAM (Mark)and had an excelent transaction.  Mounted it to a RRA Upper with a Bushy ultralight barrel.  It looks a little spacey, but I like it.  In terms of rotation, Ive had no problems with it moving around or working loose, granted I dont heat up the barrel like those with full auto.  Im very satisfied with both the product as well as the service that I have recieved.  I, like many, am a little on the paranoid side when it comes to the rotation issue.  This was easily solved by taking a B-Square riser and running it from my receiver to the first few notches on the FIRSH.  Also, for those concerned about heat up issues, even with sustained rapid fire, the firsh is, at worst, warm to the touch, IMO.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top