Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2005 12:31:09 PM EDT
I have almost saved up enough for my first AR15 build.  I'm going with a Stag lower + Del-Ton kit.  I wanted my first build to be something well rouned as in I wanted to average out a lot of the bennifits of certain styles.  My first upper is going to be a 16" CAR style upper but with a heavy barrel not the M4 profile.  The upper will also be an A2 style as I will be almost exclusively be using this for iron sights at first.

Now my questions...

How many of you use one lower with several upper?  Is it a pain to change them outside of your home ie. the range, car, field ect?

How much weight does the M4 profile save (more importantly can you definately tell a difference) and are it's drawbacks worth that wieght for fun plinking power?

I plan on getting a flat-top HBAR 20" for my next upper.   Would there be any real problems using my M4 style lower with it (I wouldn't think so)?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How many of you use one lower with several upper?  Is it a pain to change them outside of your home ie. the range, car, field ect?

No. Just push the two pins out, swap uppers, and push the two pins back in.

I plan on getting a flat-top HBAR 20" for my next upper.   Would there be any real problems using my M4 style lower with it (I wouldn't think so)?

No problem whatsover.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The only problem is this.

You will start with one lower and might get multiple uppers, but lowers are cheap, so you get another one. The you might build another upper, but that needs another lower, and lowers are cheap so you build another lower. Then you might...............you get the point.

Eventually, you'll have a lower for every spare upper you might get.

The 20" barrel will work just fine with the collapsible stock.

WIZZO

BTW, the true M4 profile (skinny under the hand guards too) is very light feeling. Much more so than the HBAR 16". The weight savings is all up to you, though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
deleted
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies very informative.

Another quesiton about the M4 profile barrel.  For some paper and plinking fun are there any drawbacks to the M4 barrel?  I would think that it would be more prone to overheating as it's lighter?  Not that I will be doing any real rapid-firing or full auto but it's just a thought.

Again Thanks,
Ben
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're not going to do much rapid firing, it will be OK.

Hell, I bumpfire lots with mine and it works really well. It's still pretty accurate, although I only feed it Wolf.

My guess is that the rounds might start stringing when it gets hot, but I have never shot off a bench, so I can't know for sure.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If the game plan is to punch paper, go with a standard A-2 rifle.  Also, if you get a chance, check out the differance in front end weight between the standard goverment profile, and the H barrel profile.  Myself, the standard goverment profile feels more alive/correct then the H barrel without a butt stock weight to even the rifle out (read don't mind heavy rifles since I have a more than a few DCM rigs, its the rifles that are just too front end heavy that drive me up the wall)..

As for the  carbines, they have a shorter sight raduis, and the tele stock leaves a lot to like in regards to a constant check weld point.

As stated since you can't just build one and stop yourself from build up just a few more, later on when you decide to build up the next rifle, you can go for the cool factor and build up the Carbine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I definately see your point.  When I say that I'll just be shooting paper I don't always mean that I'll be benching the gun, I do lots of shooting standing.  I'm really just trying to get away from how my 10/22 feels, it's got a big bull barrel and it's rough so shoot standing for any length of time.  I think the A2 would definately balance out easier because of the stock but I've shot a 20" HBAR and it feels like a mans gun (heavy).  Maybe I'll just go with a 16" heavy profile or maybe I'll just flip a coin
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top