Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2004 2:22:24 PM EST
Ok, will recontouring (thinning) a barrel under the handguards change the harmonics of a barrel sufficiently for the accuracy to suffer??? I mean, as long as you dont get to carried away and turn it into a toothpick, it should be gtg right?

i have an ER Shaw SS HEAVY barrel, and it is significantly fatter under the handguards than it is toward the muzzle. When I ordered it, i had no idea how HEAVY it would actually BE!!!! Its pretty damn heavy.

So are there any concerns with having the fatter part under the handguards turned down to a more normal diameter?? Loss of accuracy???
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:09:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:20:21 PM EST
im getting conflicting signals here bigbore...

You said you have contoured Kriegers and other match barrels with no ill effect, yet i should NOT get it done???

confusion is setting in. I have a custom finish on the muzzle end of the barrel i have now, so i kinda want to keep it. I COULD of course recreate this finish on a new barrel, but id rather not deal with it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:48:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/7/2004 3:49:23 PM EST by bigbore]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:19:34 AM EST
Gotcha!!!

i think.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:31:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By ARin:
Ok, will recontouring (thinning) a barrel under the handguards change the harmonics of a barrel sufficiently for the accuracy to suffer??? I mean, as long as you dont get to carried away and turn it into a toothpick, it should be gtg right?

i have an ER Shaw SS HEAVY barrel, and it is significantly fatter under the handguards than it is toward the muzzle. When I ordered it, i had no idea how HEAVY it would actually BE!!!! Its pretty damn heavy.

So are there any concerns with having the fatter part under the handguards turned down to a more normal diameter?? Loss of accuracy???

The point here is that it could degrade accuracy. You want it turned down with an accuracy guarantee, you will need a crystal ball. Fluting could be done under the guards but gain [loss] would not be great. If the barrel shoots, dont change a thing. If it doesnt, it aint gonna.
Top Top