Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:07:08 AM EDT
I'm curious why Colt calls the AR6520 the "Government Carbine" ?

Is/Was it used by government agencies at one time ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm curious why Colt calls the AR6520 the "Government Carbine" ?

Is/Was it used by government agencies at one time ?

It's one of Colts law Enforcement Carbines.

All the Colt LE models have had the restricted rollmark in the bottom image since the ban - it's just a curiousity now.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he knows that-but he is wondering why GOVERNMENT Carbine-was it use by our GOVERNMENT at one time?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably like the "Government Model" .45 ACP ...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I can only guess here (which is pathetic, since I own a 6520), but the barrel diameter is the same as the original government M16 and M16A1 barrels. The "government carbine" name was around well before the 1994 AWB, and may have been around before the M16A2 was adopted, so it's possible that the name just stuck to carbines with the original, lighter profile barrel.

Again, that's just a theory - I don't know for sure.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top