Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2005 10:52:03 AM EDT
I was at the gun shop (again) yesterday and they had an ACOG (don't know which but it was tagged @ $1,100.00).  While looking through the sight it had a bright red dot in the middle of some barely there crosshairs.  When I covered the plastic tube with the red stripe running down the middle of it with my hand the red dot disappeared completely.  Is this normal?  I thought there was tritium in these sights.  

2nd question.  The sight I looked at wasn't mounted on a rifle is that why the crosshairs were nearly immpossible to see?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The tritium is only used when it is very dark so you wouldn't be able to see it against any kind of lit background.  Cover the fiber with one hand and cover the front of the scope with the other and you should see the illumination from the tritium.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll try that next time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one question.
Someone told me that when the tritium is dead after 10, 12 years of service, the sight will get blurred and rendered useless, is that true?
I own a TA 31F that I love but hell, if I can't use it 10 years later, that doesn't make sense to spend so much money.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have one question.
Someone told me that when the tritium is dead after 10, 12 years of service, the sight will get blurred and rendered useless, is that true?
I own a TA 31F that I love but hell, if I can't use it 10 years later, that doesn't make sense to spend so much money.

whoever told you that is a dumbass

tritium has a half life of 12,5 yrs so it will be half bright when the time comes

even after that you will still have the reticle itself which will be just black like any other reticle and you still have the fiber optic which will illuminate the reticle during the daylight

go to the trijicon site all the info you need is there

trijicon faq

get from the horses mouth
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
It helps to be dark adapted to see the reticle when it is tritium illuminated.  Dark adaption takes about 1-2 minutes of time spent in the dark.  When you need the tritium to see the reticle your eyes will already be dark adapted.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can only say ACOGS ROCK!!!

www.csgw.photosite.com/~photos/tn/363_348.ts1105752530266.jpg

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks

that sbr rocks!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top