Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2005 6:19:43 PM EDT
I have a Pre-Banned Olympic Arms that I am selling to a friend who lives in California. I am in Texas  so it's pretty easy going here, but I know there are a lot of restrictings when it comes to California.

I have a few questions that I was hoping that someone can help me out with.

1. Are there any laws in California that would restrict him from owning a Pre-Banned AR-15? (Flash Hider, Bayonet Lug, Detachable Magazine & Collapsible Buttstock)?

2. Do I have to ship to an FFL or can I just ship it directly to his house?

Thank You All.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but he can't own that.  but again, i might be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Your friend cannot legally own your weapon.  He can own all of the components except the lower reciever.  Strip it down to all the lower reciever parts and the complete upper reciever and sell it to him.  As far as the lower reciever,  he has his legal options in California. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a Pre-Banned Olympic Arms that I am selling to a friend who lives in California. I am in Texas  so it's pretty easy going here, but I know there are a lot of restrictings when it comes to California.

I have a few questions that I was hoping that someone can help me out with.

1. Are there any laws in California that would restrict him from owning a Pre-Banned AR-15? (Flash Hider, Bayonet Lug, Detachable Magazine & Collapsible Buttstock)?

2. Do I have to ship to an FFL or can I just ship it directly to his house?

Thank You All.

Nick

Illegal in Cali
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
i was going to sell one of my rifles to a cali resident but with all the crap they are going through i felt it was safer/less trouble to just keep it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i was going to sell one of my rifles to a cali resident but with all the crap they are going through i felt it was safer/less trouble to just keep it.

Thats completely illegal for them.  Since I think 2003 not a single banned weapon can be imported or made.  The only ones allowed in Cali are the ones registered before that date.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your friend cannot legally own your weapon.  He can own all of the components except the lower reciever.  Strip it down to all the lower reciever parts and the complete upper reciever and sell it to him.  As far as the lower reciever,  he has his legal options in California. hinking.gif

What's wrong with the lower receiver? He can't own an AR-15 at all or just a Pre-Banned AR-15? What kind of AR-15's do they have over there in CA? Are they the ones with the Non-Detachable Magazines or something?

I wouldn't want to get him in trouble legally.

Thanks Again for your help.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats completely illegal for them.  Since I think 2003 not a single banned weapon can be imported or made.  The only ones allowed in Cali are the ones registered before that date.

BANNED?

Do you mean Pre-Banned?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#7]
What you are describing is illegal.  Period.

California passed a semi-auto rifle ban a while ago, and people who already owned things like AR-15s could register them and keep them, but after that NOBODY is allowed to buy any, or bring any into the state.

Seriously.  It is a felony - doesn't matter what date your AR-15 was manufactured, or what features it has.

The ONLY AR-15 that can be legally purchased in California is some weird abomination with a fixed magazine, that only takes 10 round stripper clips - or something like that.  The receiver is different.  Your AR, with a regular receiver, cannot legally be sold in, or shipped to, California.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

California passed a semi-auto rifle ban a while ago, and people who already owned things like AR-15s could register them and keep them, but after that NOBODY is allowed to buy any, or bring any into the state.

Seriously.  It is a felony - doesn't matter what date your AR-15 was manufactured, or what features it has.

The ONLY AR-15 that can be legally purchased in California is some weird abomination with a fixed magazine, that only takes 10 round stripper clips - or something like that.  The receiver is different.  Your AR, with a regular receiver, cannot legally be sold in, or shipped to, California.

Thank You for the explanation.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank You for the explanation.

No problem - glad I could help.

Reading back over my post, it might SOUND a little condescending or lecturing.  Sorry - it wasn't meant to, I was just trying to explain it as best as I know it.  If you want the details, you can always check out the California Hometown forum, where people can no doubt explain in greater detail (if you still care).
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Makes a guy think...

So, If I move to California, I can't take my AR with me, since I wasnt a resident before the 2003 registrations?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The ban wasn't on semi automatic rifles.  It was a ban on rifle features.  What makes the Ar15 lower reciever illegal in California is that it has a Detachable magazine and a Pistol grip.  

The law is laid out so that semi automatic centerfire rifles can't have combined features which were determined by anti gun law makers.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]
It is simple. California and weapons are like water and oil. Just don’t mix.
There is no legal way to get an AR into CA. There is no way to transfer a previously registered one to another CA resident even a family member. I lived there for many years. I own a Sig Sauer P226 bought some 14 years ago with three fifteen round mags. When they outlawed Hi Cap mags other things took place also. They did not have the right to take them from me the original buyer. but I could not give or sell the weapon to anyone including a family member without turning in the mags to a LEO or a Dealer for destruction. Even upon my death.      
I understand that now they are also going to begin the attempt to ban the pit bull breed of dogs. This began after the last attack(s) in San Francisco or Sacramento. Some of the Government officials are currently creating laws to ban ownership and breeding of the breed. If this does happen then you can expect the following as well.

They will be telling you what car you can drive and how far you can drive it. If you can buy a home and how long you can own it. The day of the week you can buy groceries and the items you can buy there.
But of course it is just a matter of protecting and helping the citizens of California.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]
California should be banned!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1,000
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm

search is your friend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are in the military and sent to a duty station in Cali you can bring your AR's with you. I think LEOs can still buy AR's too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1,001
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]
One of you is going to make a long road trip  ......... right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#21]
question is answered, and its in the wrong forum.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top