Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2012 6:02:53 AM EDT
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm

I know the light weight barrels makes the gun easy to carry. I know the gun will jump abit more in recoil. What about heating up? If I was at the range and put like 3 mags through it one after the other is it possible to damage or deform this type of barrel?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Simple answer, no.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
It worked good enough from the ARs birth until the A2 came out in the late 80's.

I never had a issue with a pencil barrel and I have one on one of my carbines.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Government profile barrel are thin under the handguard and heavy past the front sight base, but nobody worries about them having damage even though there is even more weight pulling on the LW section.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Simple answer, no.

+1

eta...whoa check this out ...post 10101 is +1?
thats some freakin erie shit right there
in illuminati numerology or somethin'
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple answer, no.

+1

eta...whoa check this out ...post 10101 is +1?
thats some freakin erie shit right there
in illuminati numerology or somethin'

True, False, True, False, True, in Binary code.  Or On, Off, On, Off, On. lol!

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#6]
No no damage maybe full-auto but not semi-auto and just remeber lighter barrels heat up quicker..yes and also cool down quicker.In the 80s Rangers and other SF units used 14.5 pencil barreled model 653 carbines a long time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the other members here, should be no damage to the LW barrel when doing 3 mag dumps in semi auto.

Even current M4 type barrels have LW profile (approx. 0.625" OD) under the handguards that I have, same profile as LW barrels under the handguards, does fine with 3 mags of rapid fire.

I had owned LW carbine barrels for a long time, started with my first Colt model R6420 AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine I bought back new in 1985 (sold in 1991) and Colt R6530 Sporter Lightweight carbine (bought new in 1991 sold in 2004), both of them I sometimes fire 3 to 5 mag dumps without any problems.

Go for it, BCM are pretty good and probably will be my next LW carbine project.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the DD version of that upper (same barrel?) and it's unbelievably light.  MOE plastics and a DD A1.5 rear.  Even with a T-1 and DD aimpoint mount it feels like a toy, a little too light for me to be honest
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got BCM's LW 14.5" middy, no heat related accuracy issues with the barrel, VERY light, w/A2 birdcage muzzle rize is minimal. With a good comp it probably would be non-existant. One of the reasons I went with BCM is they run smaller under the FSB than other's 'light weight' barrels, like a true pencil barrel. With plastic handguards & irons it's a very light setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top