Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 3:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 3:57:38 PM EDT by afman91201]
I am not trying to violate the CoC by soliciting illegal activity so don't go on a rant on me. I have a serious question.

What distinguishes any unmarked preban magazine from an unmarked new production magazine to keep them from going to ban states? I know some AR mags have the manufactured date stamped on them but what about the ones that don't like Glock, HK, and many others.

Doesn't that make the preban magazine only law in ban states worthless? It would seem like the dry county rule with alcohol. If your county doesn't sell alcohol you just drive down the road and buy some somewhere else. Even California says you can keep your prebans you just can't sell them.

Am I missing something besides the fact that some fucktard said it was illegal?

Edit: It would seem that the LE/GOV marked mags would be the only ones they can prove are illegal since they were all made between 1994-2004.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:44:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 4:46:44 PM EDT by WIZZO_ARAKM14]
Shhhhhhhhhh!

Don't let them find out.

In reality, I think some mags are stamped on the inside too.

Pop the baseplate off some of you AR mags and there should be a date stamped in there too. I think some of mine have it stamped on both sides on the inside.

Just something to keep in mind. I don't know if any other mag types have this, though (pistol mags, other rifle mags, etc.)

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:55:59 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies guys. It just seemed to me that it was a law that was impossible to enforce unless the mag was LE marked. I don't have to worry about it but I was just curious.

It is like banning cars made after 1994 but having no markings put on the new ones or changes in design to justify that they are new. Very stupid if you ask me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:00:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By afman91201:
Thanks for the replies guys. It just seemed to me that it was a law that was impossible to enforce unless the mag was LE marked. I don't have to worry about it but I was just curious.

It is like banning cars made after 1994 but having no markings put on the new ones or changes in design to justify that they are new. Very stupid if you ask me.

Now you know how the Government works

WIZZO
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 5:15:58 PM EDT by repub18]

Originally Posted By Troy:

Originally Posted By afman91201:
I am not trying to violate the CoC by soliciting illegal activity so don't go on a rant on me. I have a serious question.

What distinguishes any unmarked preban magazine from an unmarked new production magazine to keep them from going to ban states?

In many cases, absolutely nothing. In others, it can be obvious. For example, current Glock mags are 3rd Gen, and 2nd Gen mags had just been released in 1993-4, not long before the federal ban began. States that use that date in any way would ban 3rd Gen mags, and it would be obvious that anyone with a 3rd Gen mag didn't have it before the ban was passed.

But, as I said, with most mags, there's no way to tell.

This is one of those laws that you'd have to get caught red-handed somehow to ever be enforced.

-Troy

Another side to this is these states are allowed to have replacement mag bodies. 3rd generation mag bodies would be legal own if it were a replacement. I am not sure that they (the state govt) could prove it wasnt a replacement.

In theory then, wouldnt even a LEO marked mag be legal as long as it was a "replacement".
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:13:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 6:15:17 PM EDT by afman91201]

Originally Posted By repub18:
Another side to this is these states are allowed to have replacement mag bodies. 3rd generation mag bodies would be legal own if it were a replacement. I am not sure that they (the state govt) could prove it wasnt a replacement.

In theory then, wouldnt even a LEO marked mag be legal as long as it was a "replacement".

Yes, that is what I was getting at. There is no way to enforce this law anywhere. Technically it would be legal if it was replacing a destroyed preban with the stock follower, spring and baseplate. Later on if all the other parts break you can replace them too.

That means that if you live in a ban state buy some old worn out beat to hell preban mags and smash them with a hammer. Then you can legally buy brand new ones. In pieces as replacement parts of course.
Top Top