Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2006 11:41:39 AM EDT
I'm confused on a couple of things and just kind of want some clarification. Ppl are putting threaded muzzels on their guns, i thought they are illegal. Also i thought that when you build your gun you could only have 2 options out of the six, like a detachable magazine, threaded flash hider, collapsitble stock, etc..... Is there a place someone could point me to that would explain the rules a little better. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#1]
depends if you still have a assault weapons ban in your state.
the national assault weapons ban has ended for most states so we are free to have the military features like hi cap mags, bayo lugs, pistol grips, and threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you live in CT.MA, MD, CA or NY you can put whatever the hell you like on your rifle
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
So does this mean that you can mix and match preban and postban stuff? like a 11.5 preban barrell on a postban lower? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
if you mean an 11.5" barrel with a 5.5" barrel extension, yes. ALL RIFLES MUST have a barrel with an overall length of 16" or more, which means if you have an 11.5" barrel, it better have something 5.5" long welded to it...that's a completely different law from the Assault Weapons Ban.

Other than barrel length, yes. There are no 'pre-ban' and 'post-ban' stuff anymore, now that the ban is gone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
What can't you have in MD?  I know you can't BUY mags over 20 rounds here, but you can HAVE everything including 30 round mags and all the evil features.  At least that's my impression unless the law has changed recently.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if you mean an 11.5" barrel with a 5.5" barrel extension, yes. ALL RIFLES MUST have a barrel with an overall length of 16" or more, which means if you have an 11.5" barrel, it better have something 5.5" long welded to it...that's a completely different law from the Assault Weapons Ban.

Other than barrel length, yes. There are no 'pre-ban' and 'post-ban' stuff anymore, now that the ban is gone.

So if you have a barrell that's 14.5 long you have to have a flash hider or whatever welded or permanately attached to it to bring it up to 16, otherwise if you have a 16 barrell you can have it threaded and buy flash hiders and supressors that will screw on. Ah i think i get it now................Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Suppressors...well, no. Suppressors and short barrels fall under a different law than the old Assault Weapon Ban.

Suppressed weapons still require a Class III license or a Form 4. Don't go runnin' hog-wild on us and wind up in hot water with the feds!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#8]
NJ also restricts "assault weapons" by a list of weapons which includes things like the AR-15 and AK-47.  You can also not have any magazine with a capacity over 15 rounds in NJ.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah, if you want a 11.5in barrel you eather need to build it as a pistol, with a virgin lower. or SBR it. and that falls under the national firearms act or NFA, sound suppressors fall under the same law. you can get them but you need to find a class 3 dealer that can transfer it to you, and the gov. will want there $200 to process it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The MD AWB has been in the House Judiciary comittee for weeks and is not going anywhere. Same with MD CCWedited for spelling
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top