Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2004 6:59:34 PM EDT
I am almost finished with my first build and I have a quick question about the ejection port cover. When I press the button to open my cover nothing happens. I can pull back on the charging handle to get the cover open, but when it goes back still nothing. Of course the gun is empty, is this normal?

When I am finished I would love to post my pic, but I don't know how could someone tell me how.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What "button" are you talking about?  The only way to open the ejection port cover is to cycle the bolt.  The bolt release button on the left side of the weapon (looking at it as if you have it in your shoulder) only works if the bolt was being held to the rear after being locked, typically after the last shot fired on an empty magazine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for not clarifing. The button I am talking about is the forward assist. Doesn't that open the ejection cover?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
No.  The latch for the ejection port sits in the recess in the side of the bolt carrier assembly when the bolt is closed.  When the bolt opens, whether from firing or you yanking the charging handle, the bolt carrier moves enough to push the latch out to where the port cover pops open.  The forward assist button is just that, and only that.

HTH,
nuk
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry for not clarifing. The button I am talking about is the forward assist. Doesn't that open the ejection cover?

You have much to learn my child...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Dont we all?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Forward assist is there to close the bolt if it doesnt close all the way (gunk inside, etc).

The cover only pops open when you cycle the bolt.

Dont feel bad, when I first tried to assemble my AR I thought the door was supposed to CLOSE after each shot. You can imagine how long I worked trying to figure out who to get the spring to do that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember when I decided to get my first AR15.... bought it FTF here in town.  Went over to the guys house.... he handed me the rifle, and I did not even know how to inspect it.  I didnt even know how to remove the upper from the lower with the push-pins.  I couldn't have told you a bolt from a carrier from a receiver.  I knew where the trigger was, and thats about it!  Boy did I feel like a dumbass!  But who cares.... I had Black Rifle Disease from that day forward and that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, I feel pretty stupid.he
I still don't know how to insert photos in my reply. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No insult intended, but you should learn the basic function of the rifle you have before you take it out and start shooting it.

Start here:  link

This might be useful as well, just ignore the full auto stuff:  link
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]

I still don't know how to insert photos in my reply. Can anyone help me out?

When you are posting a reply, look at the buttons below the white box where you put the text, on the top row near the right side you will see a button labeled IMAGE, copy the url for the photo, click on the IMAGE button and paste the url in the pop up box.  Make sure you use the url for a photo, not for a web page, a photo will usually end in .jpg, .gif, .bmp, it will never end in .htm, .html, .com, or .org.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dont feel bad, when I first tried to assemble my AR I thought the door was supposed to CLOSE after each shot. You can imagine how long I worked trying to figure out who to get the spring to do that.

I thought that too the first time I ever saw an AR in person. I thought it was spring loaded and would shut after ever cycle of the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that too the first time I ever saw an AR in person. I thought it was spring loaded and would shut after ever cycle of the bolt.

Now there is a completely useless and expensive modification I'm sure someone could develop.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you aware that this was your 4077th post. (cue M*A*S*H theme)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top