Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2005 3:59:26 PM EDT
I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker today about cutting chrome line barrel and I would like to see if anybody here can confirm or deny this.

I was telling this guy that I may cut a new profile and cut the length of one of my AR carbine barrel down to 15” and weld on a FH to save a little weight. According to this guy a chrome lined barrel should not be cut as you can not get a good clean crown on the barrel. He said the chrome lining will chip when you cut the crown because it is brittle and will result in mediocre accuracy at best.
He said that at factory all chrome lining is applied after the barrel is cut and chamber is reamed.

Anybody know there is any truth to this guy’s statement?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
They can be cut and crowned.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They can be cut and crowned.

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]
+ 2 I have done it
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It was recently suggested to me by someone in the industry that the safest way to do it was to plug the bore with a lead slug at the point of cutting to hold the chrome in place and prevent chipping.  Some people seem to not do this and get good results.  In the past few years posting on ARF I have never seen any accuracy reports on any ARs so maybe the results have not been carefully considered.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
+ 2 I have done it

+3 i have had it done to mine
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:46:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It was recently suggested to me by someone in the industry that the safest way to do it was to plug the bore with a lead slug at the point of cutting to hold the chrome in place and prevent chipping.  Some people seem to not do this and get good results.  In the past few years posting on ARF I have never seen any accuracy reports on any ARs so maybe the results have not been carefully considered.

FWIW, I think the modern day chroming process is better than alot of people give it credit for.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top