Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2005 6:12:16 PM EDT
I was given 2000 rounds of spanish nato marked 5.56 ammo.  The ammo had gotten under water during hurricane Katrina.  I pulled some bullets and the powder was dry, but the brass cases have that green corrosion on them.  I can take 0000 steel wool and get it off, but dont want to do this for 2000 rounds.  What would be the easiest way to clean the brass up?  The same guy also gave me 1000 of Q3131a, but it was not corroded.  I will shoot both of them tomorrow to see if they still worl for sure, but I need to get them cleaned up.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
toss 'em in a tumbler
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
+1

Quoted:
toss 'em in a tumbler

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Vibratory bowl tumbler with walnut hull media. It's aggressive and will clean it quickly. A little polish couldn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont have a tumbler.  Wouldnt that be dangerous bacause of the live primers and the bullets hitting together?  Does anyone have any other ideas?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
toss 'em in a tumbler

Bad idea.

What can happen is as the powder tumbles the granules breakup into smaller pieces. The smaller pieces will burn faster and thus generate more pressure.

This is what I've read in reloading manuals. You'll have to decide if the warning came from the technical department or the legal department.

Do not use brass polish like Brasso to clean them either. IIRC it will soften the brass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I dont have a tumbler.  Wouldnt that be dangerous bacause of the live primers and the bullets hitting together?  Does anyone have any other ideas?

I really doubt that the primers would get hit hard enought to fire.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
toss 'em in a tumbler

Bad idea.

What can happen is as the powder tumbles the granules breakup into smaller pieces. The smaller pieces will burn faster and thus generate more pressure.

Internet myth.  Ammo manufacturers tumble ALL new ammo.  Much of the loose milsurp ammo is also tumbled, some in huge batches in a cement mixer (with appropriate media, of course).

Do not use polishes with amonia, it will weaken the brass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:Bad idea.

This is what I've read in reloading manuals. You'll have to decide if the warning came from the technical department or the legal department.

Do not use brass polish like Brasso to clean them either. IIRC it will soften the brass.

COMPLETELY WRONG!

This has been covered here before and some of the members here even contacted ammo/powder manufs!  They indicated that powder is not affected by tumbling.  In fact, during the blending process powder is tumbled extensively.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Fired about 80 rounds of the q3131a and spanish ammo today and had 1 missfire with the q3131a.  I am tumbling 80 rounds at a time right now.   Doing it outside in case something happens.  I told my neighbor if I blew his tumbler up Id buy him a new one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Fired about 80 rounds of the q3131a and spanish ammo today and had 1 missfire with the q3131a.  I am tumbling 80 rounds at a time right now.   Doing it outside in case something happens.  I told my neighbor if I blew his tumbler up Id buy him a new one.

LOL.

Don't worry.  I've tumbled over 2,000 rounds of Aussie .308.  Once I fogot about them and left them in overnight, something like 14 hours.  They were a little warm, but no damage to them, the tumbler, my house, or my Corvette that was 4 feet away.

If I go 2 hours in corn cobb with some polish and the worst look like new.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw some really damaged guns after Katrina.  Lots of corroded ammo too.  (Some of it mine.)
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I've tumbled .223 reloads using Accurate powder in it, which is globular, not flaked, to get the sizing lube off with  no dire consequences.   Only tumbled for an hour or so
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I touble all my reloads and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#16]
ive shot about 80 rounds of it and only had 1 that did not go off.  I pulled several bullets to look at the powder to see if it was dry which it was.  My neighbor just called and told me that he called sierra bullets and they told him NOT to tumble live ammo because of it breaking down the chemistry of the powder.  I was tumbling about 80 rounds at a time for 30 minutes.  I guess I'll have to scrub each round.  That will take forever to do almost 2000 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Sierra makes bullets, not powder.  Contact tech support at a powder maker if you want input from a manufacturer.

No one will tell you it is OK, for liability reasons.

Also, no gun manufacturer will tell you it is OK to shoot reloaded ammo, it voids all warranties.  The "don't tumble loaded ammo" chorus is from the same school of thought as the "don't ever shoot reloads".

You have 100 bucks in "free" ammo.  Is it worth risking your $800 rifle to save 100 clams?  Only you can make the risk/benifit analysis in your particular situation.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I called Hodgdon powder.  They too said do NOT tumble loaded ammo as in can affect the burn rate of the powder.  Right now I have about 1500 rounds of the ammo I havent tumbled soaking in WD40.  I took several bullets that I had tumbled and pulled the bullets and pulled the bullets of some non tumbled ammo and could not see any difference in the powder.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top