Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:57:38 PM EDT
I've been considering buying a .22 ar15 style rifle but im concerned the S&W mp15 andthe colt versions aren't going to be of the quality im looking for.  How much am i looking at if I want to build my own?/  Any and all information appreciated....thanks in advance

Derek
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Also interested in doing this, surprised no one has answered your question.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my S&W M&P 15 - .22 (around 480.00), but there are others who don't. If you have an AR-15 already I would buy the CMMG .22 Conversion kit for about 199.00 or less depending on where you buy it from. The kit is very easy to install and the Black Dog .22 mags are of great quality I think. Remember though your optics and backup sights will need adjustment if you go with a conversion kit because the bullets (5.56 x 45 and .22 LR) are very different. That's why I bought the S&W .22 because its setup, good to go and has the functionality of a AR unlike the Colt .22 which looks like an AR but doesn't work like an AR.( for example Bolt release and Field strip.) The Colt .22 is just different. I don't really like it. Oh yeah the Ruger AR type .22 is nothing but a very $$$ 10/22 I wouldn't even consider that at all. The SIG .22 is very nice but once again its more like the SIG 556 so that really strays from the AR platform and is in the 500.00 range. Well hope that helped.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
It really depends on what your busget is and whether you want a rifle that "looks" like an AR or a rifle that "is" an AR in .22LR?  I cose to go the route of a dedicated upper from Spikes to which I added a lower at a later date.  I've been nothing but happy and probably shoot it more than anything else.  I also have a chamber adapter for my .22 bolt group which allows me to also use it in my standard AR's with no problems.  

Most people seem to be happy with the M&P 22, however I could never get used to the plastic construction and feel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I went one step beyond a dedicated upper - a complete dedicated rimfire carbine with lower marked ".22LR":

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
So what I am looking at price wise for a dedicated .22 build?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys I really want to build a dedicated .22 but need to know what kind of funds its going to take.  This would be a first time build currently own colt sp1 and a dpms but I will admit I am not overly familiar with these rifles but not completely lost either.  Does building a rifle save any money?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
You  can expect to pay roughly what you'd pay for a standard AR.  You can get a Dedicated .22 Upper for around $450-500 if you look and then add teh cost of a complete lower for around $220.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top