Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:30:42 AM EDT
OK, I' new here and have been soaking up as much information as I can to help configure my first AR. Up to this point, I had pretty much settled on a RRA middie CAR A4 w/ a chrome lined bbl. Well, I'm a victim of my own curiosity. i have heard some good things about Sabre Defense uppers. After trying some searches and coming up blank, I deceided to just ask.

1) does the chrome vanadium have any distinct advantages over chrome moly?
2) Can I expect MOA accuracy from a Sabre barrell?
3) who makes the uppers for Sabre? / are fit & finish similar quality as RRA?
4) finally, any feedback from Sabre Defense owners or dealers? experiences anyone?

Thanks for taking the time to read the post, but a bigger thanks for on topic responses.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The way I understand it, (which means wait for someone who knows better to chime in) is that vanadium is just as hard as 4150 steel, so it's mil-spec.

My sabre upper had a cerro forge mark on it.

Fit and finish are good. As good as any top teir.

As far as accuracy, I don't shoot from a bench with black hills ammo or anything like that but It's seemed pretty accurate so far.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Once they start getting the 11.5" barrels and such in, I'll be picking up a SDI upper. So far, everything I've been hearing is good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#3]
If you add a little vanadium to steel, it makes it harder.  Most machine gun barrels have vanadium in them.  That's why the military use sabre barrels for their M2 .50 cals...

I asked about this a while back... and while I'm no expert, the ones that are told me these barrels are great, and follow military's specifications for barrels.

ETA:  it's chrome moly vanadium by the way... and I have ordered a sabre barrel, seen it, then shipped it off to get cut down...  from what I saw, it looked real nice, with writting on the barrel and everything.  I should have it back it a couple of weeks and I'll post my pic on the first page of the picture thread (the space i reserved).  Don't know about the upper receiver itself though, as I'm getting it put on a RRA upper... oh, and the price of the barrels went up from 2005 because they are short on steel, whcih makes a lot of sense since china has bought about 15-20% of U.S. steel in the last few months.  Everyone is shorted right now.  Prolly one of the reasons they haven't started building mississppi back up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
4) finally, any feedback from Sabre Defense owners or dealers? experiences anyone?

Sabre Defense is top notch with excellent customer service.  You won't go wrong if you choose their M4 copy or any of their products.  Recommend buy rating.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Rob,
thanks for the info, that is exactly what i was wondering. This will be a personal defense / plinker / coyote slayer setup and I am NOT a professional by any means. The primary advantage I am seeing right now is 1/7 twist because i would like to be able to shoot the 75 TAP or 77 gr. Sierras at times. M4 ramps are nice too. I actually checked out your websight and the "custom upper" is exactly what I was looking at. I'm not sure that i need the strength of a full auto rated barrel, but it's cool to say it could be with another $10,000. Any other testimonials out there?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Ihave a SDI upper bought as a Cav Arms, I also have a CMT/Stag upper. SDI is hands down winner in fit, finish and over all quality. The Cav Arms uppers are 1/9 twist and DSG Arms has a middy for $475, most likely what I'll use for my next build but I'll be sure to check Talon's web sight first.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a SDI midlength and love it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
So, the next question is, Chrome or no-Chrome the barrels?  SDI offers the option, is it needed with Vanadium barrels?

VSP
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it would pose the same advantages / disadvantages as it does in a chromemoly bbl. Easier to clean, improved durability & barrel life, but not quite as accurate. Rob mentioned the accuracy factor earlier. I'm not sure it would matter that much with me behind the irons, it would probably take a much more skilled operator to realize an accuracy difference.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#11]
My Sabre upper from Talon has been great.  No malfunctions at all and is accurate as I have ever cared to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I own a SDI midlength and love it.

+1 Also, go chrome.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top