Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 8:16:12 AM EDT
 Just wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what the two stage trigger does and what its advantages and disadvantages are.  I've got some plans for my first build and I was wondering if I should include a two stage.

Also, I was wondering if a 6"-9" Harris Bipod would work with my build.  I'm planning on getting a 16" RRA upper, and a RRA lower with the 6 position collapsible stock and I've only got my 30 round mags from Uncle Sam.  My main concern with the bipod length will be the clearance for the 30 round mags when I'm shooting from the prone (which is my preferred shooting position).  I'm not sure if the 6"-9" bipod would leave me with enough clearance to shoot comfortably.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this link: groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/triggerfaq.msnw, should explain things for ya.....

Mike

ETA - Harris BRM-S, (which IIRC is the 6"-9" your askin about) is what I use and my rifles. Works perfect from prone position for me, YMMV

forgot to mention.... Welcome aboard,
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The biggest reason to go with a two stage trigger is precision.  The second stage letoff of the trigger can be made very lightweight, and is usually around 1 pound.  This can help greatly with accuracy.  The drawback to the two stage is it is usually a more complex mechanism, and has a longer pull before letoff.

In short.  

If you are planning on doing some longer range precision work, a two stage might be for you.
If you are looking for more of a short range, CQB, snap shooting type trigger, stick with a single stage.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top