Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2003 9:29:12 PM EDT
Is there a such thing as a combat worthy reflex sight? Please excuse my ignorance, but they look extremely fragile in all the picture I see. I'm not talking about the Eotech or Aimpoint type. I mean the OkO type with the little round glass in front. Who makes the toughest ones? I already have an Eotech 552, and i'm looking for something different for my next project.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a kobra red dot sight for my ak, and it is extremely tough. The mount and the unit itself are steel with a waterproof coating (in fact the whole thing is waterproof and can be submerged in up to something like 20 ft). The laser itself is behind a solid piece of plastic and the sight piece is very tough plastic. Also it is covered by the metal housing which keeps it safe and protects it from damage from impact. The whole thing is also shockproof. Considering it is used by the russian special forces I would consider it combat worthy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the market for one too, so far opinions I have gotten on ARF.com say: ATN Ultra sight=No Go,  Hakko BED-24= a GO, Kobra = a GO.

I'm still looking for opinions. It seems like the open-lens type seem to be faster to aquire close range targets and let you be more aware of your close range environment while looking through them -less "tunnel-vision".

here's the Hakko that's top on my list right now:

[img]http://www.hakko-japan.co.jp/optical/english/img_eng/bed24s.gif[/img]

BED-24PANORAMA ELECTRO DOT SIGHT

Tubless design with 33mm reflex lens aperture provides a wide field of view, suitable for rapid-firing or shooting of moving targets besides normal shooting.
 Multi-Reticle (4 patterns) or Variable Dot (4 different sizes) are installed.
Parallax corrected and unlimited eye-relief.
Coin slot type windage and elevation click adjustments, with locking screws in two separate holes (see diagram).
Built-in mount for Weaver bases, no need to rezero when remounting the dismounted sight.
Light weight, waterproof and shockproof.
Low power consumption for long battery life.

Any opinions are welcome. Please bear in mind I am not looking for the tube-type red dot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Do I understand correctly that that sight allows you to change your reticle? If so, thats pretty cool. How much do those run for?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
that model is about $170 and can have four reticle patterns. Here are some of the choices:

[img]http://www.hakko-japan.co.jp/optical/english/img_eng/pan_ret02.gif[/img]

their site: [url]http://www.hakko-japan.co.jp/optical/english/dot.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a kobra red dot sight for my ak, and it is extremely tough. The mount and the unit itself are steel with a waterproof coating (in fact the whole thing is waterproof and can be submerged in up to something like 20 ft). The laser itself is behind a solid piece of plastic and the sight piece is very tough plastic. Also it is covered by the metal housing which keeps it safe and protects it from damage from impact. The whole thing is also shockproof. Considering it is used by the russian special forces I would consider it combat worthy.
View Quote

Which model Kobra do you have?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top