Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2010 7:57:17 PM EDT
I am building a custom 308 AR.  I am going to have the barrel made, but I don't know if I want a LR308 or AR10 barrel extension.  I know that you have to run the BCG that matches your barrel.  What are the advantages of an armalite BCG vs a DPMS bcg?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
DPMS is more common/readily available.  Many manufacturers support the DPMS barrel extension.  

Noveske is one of the last few to ONLY support AR10, and I suspect that will change soon.

Also, you can get some nice chrome plated BCGs from DPMS, JP and many others.  You get freaking ONE choice with Armalite - Armalite.  Sometimes hard to find individual parts, and during the SHTF politics of 2009, AR10 BCG parts were nowhere to be found, apparantly.

I went with an AR10 BCG because I just HAD to have a damn Noveske barrel on my 308 build.  Otherwise it would have been DPMS or similar.

And I can attest first hand the necessity of matching bolt/carrier/bbl ext. I bought a brand new chrome DPMS BCG for my Noveske / MEGA 308 build and the DPMS bolt would not lock with a round in my Noveske (AR10) chamber.
It also failed my headspacing gauges I bought.

Whoever tries to mix and match is a fool IMO.  Very dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Also ,I believe the firing pin, is a spring loaded design in the AR10 BCG. If that makes a difference to you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also ,I believe the firing pin, is a spring loaded design in the AR10 BCG. If that makes a difference to you.

Sho is.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top