Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 11:34:55 AM EDT
I have a chance to buy a Colt SP1 in the following configuration. I am not sure if it's legit in the form that it's in, i.e. a factory configuration. Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Colt SP1 marked slabside lower, .312" pivot front pin
-20" 1x12 barrel, marked "chrome bore"
-A1 flash hider, A1 butt, handguards and        pistol  grip
-Upper receiver is an A1 and is marked L M under the rear sight. It has a forward assist, no brass deflector. The upper is a .250" front pivot and is attached to the lower with an offset pin.

The owner tells me he bought it new that way. I have just never seen an SP1 with forward assist and I wasn't sure about Colt's use of an offset pin to attach the upper and lower.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
He is lying. Flat out lying. Or lying and doesnt know it. The upper is not original Colt SP1 upper.
GG
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he's in that "doesn't know he's lying" category. I believ that he bought it like that but that the dealer recofigured the rifle as it is now. It's definately a pre-ban lower.

Do you know what the LM code is on the upper?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It is a military M16 upper, what you need to look at is how is it attached to the SP1 lower, ie did they use a front pivot adapter or drill out the hole. Drilling the hole is not good as it pentrated the hard coat, however if the price is right who cares. Correct SP1 uppers are fairly common at around $300 without B/BC/CH.

Mack
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It's no big deal.
You can always find another large hole SP-1 upper receiever. I've bought a few on ar15.com equipment exchange.

If the price is fair, buy it anyway. The adapter pins work fine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]
It's definately got the offset pivot pin to attach the upper and lower.

Thanks for the info!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top